THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    "bonded bullets" how are they "bonded"

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"bonded bullets" how are they "bonded"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering how bonded bullets are bonded?

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but I suppose by pouring molten lead into a tinned jacket, to solder lead and copper together.

[ 06-30-2003, 20:37: Message edited by: Andr� Mertens ]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Andre, that is actually how Speer makes the Hot-core bullets. Technically, that is not bonding. Perhaps some metallurgists can enlighten us. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bonde3d bullets are made by first covering the inside of a jacket with some sort of flux to remove EVERYTHING from the jacket, and that means every single tiny little microscopic speck of dust. well this is lifted off the jacket just long enough for the molten lead to be poured in and bond to the jacket.

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
<KING>
posted
Could be Zinc Chromate!

one of us
posted Hide Post
One method is to heat the fluxed jackets with lead core (wire) inserted using a small heat treating oven until the lead welds to the jacket's interior surface. Its pretty fast.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The flux, or bonding agent, (largely hydrochloric acid) is put into the jacket, the core put on top then the core is melted in the jacket. The bonding agent will remove impurities from the surface of the copper jacket and the lead while it's melted and lowers the surface tension of the lead so that it can penetrate the surface of the copper at the molectular level.

Simply melting the core (like Speer Hot-Core) doesn't do it.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These bullets are interesting, but has anyone tested them. I am trying them but not liking the results as far as grouping. 3" plus at 100 yards in 7mm-08.

Posts: 33 | Location: usa | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tested the 225 gr Nosler Accubond in 338 WM. Superb accuracy - .675" for three shots. I know from reading that there is a lot that goes into making these bullets - very proprietary processes - I guess making sure that you get rid of all the bubbles and voids is a big part of the trick.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
rifleman 1, could you please post a new topic and share some details of those accubond loads?

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I get sub 1" groups out of two seperate 7mags with Trophy bonded 175grers.

Last week I weighed one recovered from a moose and it weighed 171 gr. There was a little fat under the mushroom but that is still incredible weight retention.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote