Notify
Tools

165gr in the 300 WM?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Please help!!
I bought some handload ammo for my new 300 winchester magnum, they are 180 gr at 3050 fps.

I'm not very recoil sensitive but I think the actual recoil is too much for hunting during the night or in thick bush, I don't need so much gun, so I was thinking in 165 (gslams,partitions,etc) with less powder.

How much I will reduce recoil using 165gr at for ex. 2800 fps?

For Africa or red stags in Argentina I can go up again, but for pigs and axis in my country I think this will be a much more confortable load.

I've trade this rifle for my old 308 and now I'm not so sure if I've done a good deal, I was just looking for one "do it all" rifle.
What you think about this?
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you check in the manuals you'll find loads that approximate what you are trying to do. I think it's a fine idea. Use the downloaded ammo for when it's appropriate and use the hotter/heavier loads when they are required. Lighter bullets at slower speeds (not too slow, be careful)= less recoil. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

Doing the math for recoil calculations, the loads you are describing shows an approximate 20% reduction in recoil. You can also think of it this way for comparison. The .308 moves a 165gr bullet at approximatly 2700fps. All things being equal the reduced load for the .300WM and the .308 load are close.

Hope this helps
CJW3

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjw3:
All things being equal the reduced load for the .300WM and the .308 load are close.

Well, actually there will be some difference because the weight of the powder charge needs to be entered into the calculation of the ejecta weight too, and the powder charge in the Winchester mag will be greater than the powder charge used in the .308 in order to reach the same velocity with a given bullet weight. This difference, however, may be small enough that you may not notice it in actual shooting.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Try 55 grains of 3031 or 4895 with the 165 gr bullet. I would use magnum primers with reduced loads. No filler is needed then.

The danger of using pistol powder, and I like Unique a lot, is no charge or a double charge.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The beauty of the Win Mag is its' performance and by shooting reduced loads it's just a big .308 again. I would recommend you try shooting a full power load with lighter bullets of heavy constuction and see if the recoil is ok. I found a huge difference in recoil when dropping from 250gr. to 200 and 210 grain for my .338. Performance is still outstanding for Elk and if I do get to go after big bears or such I can always go back up in weight. I wouldn't trade your .300 back for a .308 ever!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience with the 300 and 7 mm Mags...reduced loads are either a pain in the rear end or pretty inaccurate or both. The reduced loads typically need a filler and sometimes even with the mag primers ignition can be sporadic. Accuracy almost always suffers. Its one of those things that sounds good on paper...but go to the range and get you first 3 or 10 POP-BANGS and you'll quickly decide otherwise. The belted mags almost always are at their best with a case full of some slow burning stick powder. YMMV

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
Without wanting to rain on your parade, I think you have more or less hit the nail on the head when you write: "I'm not so sure if I have done a good deal". It sounds like you (like so many of us - myself included, at one time or the other) have fallen into the trap of believing the logic: "power is good => more power must be better". For a lot of hunting jobs (or even most?) we don't strictly *need* magnum power.

Power is indeed good, but only if one can handle the inevitable recoil and one does not mind the additional loss of edible meat.

Still, you wanted the do-it-all rifle, and that is not wrong. Now we'll have to see if you can make it work. I agree with our Kentucky friend that in general reduced loads are a pain in the behind. However, the velocity (2800) you are looking for is really more a starting velocity for a .300 WM/165 grs load (as opposed to a reduced load). So it is not impossible that you could find a light 165 grs load that will shoot accurately in your gun. Check out data on:

http://www.vihtavuori.fi/

Other things you can do:

- on the range, wear a shoulder pad (great ones available from PAST for maybe 20-25$). They will stop most of the discomfort from the added recoil. In the field you'll probably not even be aware ot the extra recoil - adrenalin is a pretty good recoil-"reducer"... :-)

- wear extra heavy hearing protection to cut down on the muzzle blast.

I don't like muzzle breaks because they increase muzzle blast, but if you removed it when going hunting, I suppose that would be a way to go as well. A good shoulder pad works wonders too, though, and at a much lower cost!

Good luck with your pig-hunting!

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
65 grains of 4350 shoots fine in my300 win mag and recoil is not bad at all. I do use mag primers and the bullet is the 165 Remington PSPCL. I needed a reduced load for shooting out of a treestand. This meant I would be shooting at a downward angle and wanted a full enough case so there would be no empty space between the primer and powder. You can use any slow burner as long as you stay with the recommended minimum charges.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
If you download that should do the trick, the 300 takes more power to get 2800 fps, but normally the magnums are normally heavier, so recoil is not bad, but I would try 180 grain bullets at 2800.

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you, The answers were of great help!!!
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote