Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 Swede loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello 6.5x55 shooters
I just recently wound up with a Swedish mauser, the short cavalry model I'm told.
Anyway I went back through some old posts to find some starting/max loads for the Swede but really didn’t find anything specific. Reloader 22 seemed to be the favorite followed by some weigh-ins from Rx19, V V powders and 4831 but no numbers.

I'm going to use the Remington 140 gr bullet to start with. Its as good as any for deer.

Lyman says not to exceed 47.0grs with Rx22 and N560, 46.0grs with H4831 and 44.5grs with Rx19.

Speer says not to exceed 48.0grs with Rx22 and 46.0grs with Rx19.

Alliant says not to exceed 48.0grs with Rx22 and 46.0 with Rx19.

V V says 44.0grs with N560 is max.

Does this follow with what you have experienced?
If not, you could give me a place to start with the above powders and what not to exceed I would appreciate it.
Thanks much

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Stay with the books.
If you look closely each manual likely is useing a diffferent bullet with their data. The fact the loads are so uniform should tell you the data is probably honestly at SAAMI max. Although Speer claims their loads to be at 50K CUP instead of SAAMIs 46K CUP.
I like R22 under a 140 gr Sierra SPBT in mine and acually prefer the 129 gr Hornady with the same powder better. Max is where your rifle says it is.

BTW the 44gr of N560 you show VV listing is for a 155 gr Match King not a 140 gr bullet. The VV manual also list a 155 gr Lapua Mega with 46.3 gr of N560 as max. The bullet used will effect the load as you can see.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was using 46 gr's of 4831 with the Hornady 129 gr bullet. Shot it for years with fantastic accuracy. Then I had an SEE effect. Blew out the primer pocket and I never found the primer. No damage to the gun but I had to increase the charge to 47 gr's. The accuracy was then gone.
You must be very carefull with the slow powders in the Swede because you can't use enough due to pressure restrictions. There will be too much airspace. I would NOT use Reloader 22 unless it fills the case. I never tried it because it is a slower powder.
I now use 37.5 gr's of Varget with the 129 gr and 36 gr's with the 140 gr. I am back to consistant 1/2" groups at 100 yd's.
I will no longer use the reduced charges of slow powder in the Swede. One scare was enough!
My friend had the same thing happen with his Swede, luckily it also survived. When you have to beat the bolt open, it will make a believer out of you very quickly.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy load with a boat load less recoil than the powders you mentioned above???

40 grains of RL 15 or 40 grains of IMR 4064 with a 140 grain Rem corelokt.. and seat the bullet only to the ist cannelure as the throat is long on that Mauser...

With the standard 29 inch factory barrel, the MV will be in the 2800 fps range or so...about 2600 with the 20 inch barrel cut downs or so...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks for the insights.
I'll give some of the faster powders a try also.
Thanks again.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I'm using 46.5 gr Re-22, Hornady 140gr SP, Fed 210 primers, and Lapua brass. Trim brass to min SAAMI length, seat bullet to top of cannelure and give a medium crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die. Great accuracy out of my CZ550 FS, YMMV. Smacks the hell out of deer.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite loads in the Swede have been with IMR4350
and RL22.

If you are worried about SEE use magnum primers.
RL22 works fine provided you have a load density of about 85% of case capacity.

RL19 might be a better choice if you want to play with lighter bullets, like the Nosler 125gr partition.

45gr of IMR4350 behind an old Winchester powerpoint 140gr...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have burned about everything except gasoline in my Swedes, and they just plain ol' shoot. My favorite load revolves around 140 grain bullets and IMR 4895, a powder suitable for almost all vintage military rifles. It is no coincidence that improved military rifle powder 4895 is outstanding in the accuracy department as much time and effort went into its development.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
IMR 4064 is really working in my Swede with the 140 gr. Rem Core Lokts. I settled on a mild load of 39 grains but look at the picture and you'll know why I stopped there.
By the way in the photo I mis-labelled the load as 4350 it is actually IMR 4064.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post
My favorite hunting load in a remodeled
M96 sporter is 49 grains of 3100 with a
125 grain Nosler Partition.

Very fine accuracy and very deadly.

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My modern Swede (Howa 1500, 22" barrel) likes 46.0 gr of IMR-4350 with the Hornady 129 gr Interlock spire point. Chronographs around 2600 fps and groups around an inch at 100 yards from the bench. I have also been playing with Accurate Data 86 powder, (similar to Accurate 3100) and it seems to like 47.5 gr behind that same 129 gr Hornady. Still waiting for the 130 gr Nosler Accubond, not that I really need a bonded bullet at 2600 fps, but I like Noslers and believe it may even give better accuracy.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote