THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Fireforming with Cream of Wheat method-Quick question

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireforming with Cream of Wheat method-Quick question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm loading for a friend that would prefer that his brass is fireformed without bullets. How much powder is needed for a decent fireform with a belted magnum case?

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I use anywhere from 13g for the smaller cases and up to 18g of Unique for the larger belted cases.

Start out with 2-3g less (about 15g,) in the larger cases, fire one and check, and adjust the charge depending on the burn rate of your pistol powder. Don't look for real sharp edges as the case won't get sharp until after firing with a bullet. If using Bullseye use about 1 or 2g less than the above numbers. Whatever you do don't fireform in a braked gun, it can split the brake. Don't ask how I know!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
As a general rule I use Unique. To get the starting charge. Fill the case to the brim with Unique and weight the powder that the case contained. The starting charge is 10% of that amount.

Like Bob indicated rounded edges as normal and ok. Dont try to get sharp corners.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote