New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rookie Question <-----Dumb ass me!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Jeff - For sure use them. Cut your load a grain or two if you're concerned but I doubt this is necessary.

As far as depriming LIVE primers, you can do it with regular sizing dies. The thing to remember working with live primers is:

1. Have all nearby open powder sources covered. (My powder measure is usually right beside my press with the lid off.)
2. Wear eye protection.
3. DEPRIME THEM SLOWLY. Primers are CONTACT sensitive...not crush or compression sensitive. You can squeeze a live primer flat if you do it slowly. Just never hit it. That's when they go boom.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, don't beat yourself up about this primer mistake. Anyone who hasn't made some sort of error with primers probably hasn't loaded very much. Welcome to the club.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the quick info guys....I don't feel QUITE as stupid now .......I will give them a try. Thanks again < !--color-->

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I mistakenly loaded 50 rounds of 270 Winchester with magnum primers. I've discovered this before I put powder in them. What now? Can they be shot? Dump them in a pail of water, then resize? Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure. Some powders call for magnum primers, even in 270 cases. look through your loading books and find an appropriate powder/bullet combination (150 gr bullets and H4831 comes to mind) load them up and go shooting. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CCI 250 Magnum primers are the only primer I've ever used in my 270. I've used both H4350 and H4831, with 150 grain bullets.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem Jeff. I use Magnum primers in my .25-06 with H4350 and H4831. If you have already established loads with a standard primer, just load a little lower (.5gr.) and work up just to be safe. No reason to waste the brass or primers.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote