Notify
Tools

Looking for someone to reload for me .270
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted
Will need min 10 boxes Winchester 270

Will supply Nosler 130 gr Accu/bond bullets and Nosler brass.

Want to work a real flat loadfor 400 to 600 yrd shooting.

This will be the first time I have not shot factory loads so I'm new I need help. Michigan location would be perfect but you don't have to be in Mich.
Thanks

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in Grand Rapids and have dies for 270 WCF.

What is your location?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider loading a single box (or less) using the precise components, weights & OAL and shooting them to confirm that the combination meets your expectations.
While the 270 is notoriously forgiving, I would not want 10 boxes of ammo that were not what you might wish.
You are off to a good start with the bullet & brass & caliber.

Posts: 44 | Location: Finger Lakes NY | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Nothing against anyone. But! IN my younger life I use to load a LOT of ammo for others. I have long since stopped the practice and counted myself very lucky something didn't happen and I got my butt sued off.

There are any number of custom ammo loading options that already have plenty of insurance.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Nothing against anyone. But! IN my younger life I use to load a LOT of ammo for others. I have long since stopped the practice and counted myself very lucky something didn't happen and I got my butt sued off.

There are any number of custom ammo loading options that already have plenty of insurance.

Exactly!!! I've quit doing it for others as well. Just too risky. I'll help them reload for themselves but I won't do it for them.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with most here. I don't know how you could possibly configure a good load without having the particular rifle in hand.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you don't.
you load generic undersized ammunition, near minimum levels.
same as the factory's do.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Factory below min levels?

Not in my experience

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted, that has been my experience as well... I believe the ammunition manufacturers size cases to minimum, then load the highest velocity ammunition they can into these smallish cases, as it is a proven fact that generally, the faster a projectile is pushed the more accurate it is. I believe the "safety factor" the ammo manufacturers use is smaller outside case dimensions and minimum OALs, allowing for bullet jump to increase velocity while at the same time serving to lower chamber pressure.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And while I am at it, I would like to relate a "mea culpa" story about handloading for someone else...

Many years back, I was asked to load some Speer Grand Slams for what I was told was a 7MM Weatherby. The request was basically, "I need some 7 Weatherby Mag ammunition with Grand Slams in them." I was told to purchase the components and dies, assemble the ammunition and I would be paid. Well, I did that and provided what memory says was five boxes.

Three weeks later, the man I loaded the ammo for approached me, quite agitated. I was told that when the man the ammo was for loaded the rifle, it was all he could do to close the bolt, and when it came time that evening to unload the rifle, the bullet stuck in the barrel and about half the powder spilled out of the case.

I was very puzzled... I had taken new brass, FL sized, it trimmed it to minimum, charged the cases with one grain less than the Speer max load for powder selected, and seated the GS bullets to the cannelure. I had no idea what could possibly have gone wrong. Additionally, I didn't know the ammunition was for someone else. I offered my friend his money back, but he wouldn't take it.

That was all I heard for about a month. Then one evening I was approached again at work, and the man said "_____ (my name), about them shells..." My first thought was "Well, I am about to get it again", but what followed was "I will never understand why a man would buy a Weatherby rifle in a Remington caliber."

Long story longer, the man had a Weatherby Vanguard in 7 Remington Magnum. Once I was told that, my blood literally ran cold. I can only be thankful the man never touched off one of those Weatherby rounds in that Remington-chambered rifle.

Since then, I have made it a point to do two things if I agree to load for someone else: 1) either have the firearm during load development or at least have personally put my hands on the firearm; and 2) err on the side of conservatism by never loading maximum charges, typically using several different loading manuals to extrapolate a "safe" load for a given weight projectile. Further, when asked to load for another, I typically decline. I am quite choosy whom I load for, specifically because of the event related above.

I hope this helps someone else. I very narrowly avoided being part of what could have been a tragedy.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My neighbor uses this place I believe.

http://www.preciseammunition.com/index.html

Do a search on the net for custom ammuntion loading and you will get a number of links.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You need to have a type 6 FFL to reload ammunition for other people if you get paid for it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was not looking for the whole 10 boxes at once, was looking for someone to work with me on the load. Some insight and recommendations first then a box to try and refine. I was not looking for an overload beyond factory specs just wanted to get closer than off the shelf. 270 tend to really drop off after 400-450 and I just looking for some help
I'll contact those that offered THANK YOU
DENNIS

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you are expecting. You can't really get a 270 hotter/flatter than the Hornady Superperformance Interbond. They claim 3200. QL has trouble getting 3200 at 65,000 with that bullet or your proposed nosler.
Data from Hornady. http://www.hornady.com/store/2...rBond-Superformance/

Even the superperformance 200yd zero is down -5.7@300. -16.7@400 and -33.7@500.

Superperformance is $50 a box about the same as the link I gave you above.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if you're loading for a friend, if he wants "customized" ammo, you have to have the rifle in order to do anything other than cobble up some generic stuff. I would not load for anyone. I'll "help" them use my eq and their components but that's it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
270 tend to really drop off after 400-450 and I just looking for some help

You can't fix that in a 270 Win or much of anything else short of the 5000 FPS main gun of an M1A1 Abrams. I think they use 100,000 PSI ammo.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Don't know what you are expecting. You can't really get a 270 hotter/flatter than the Hornady Superperformance Interbond. They claim 3200. QL has trouble getting 3200 at 65,000 with that bullet or your proposed nosler.
Data from Hornady. http://www.hornady.com/store/2...rBond-Superformance/

Even the superperformance 200yd zero is down -5.7@300. -16.7@400 and -33.7@500.

Superperformance is $50 a box about the same as the link I gave you above.

I agree with this - then keep the cases and start reloading yourself. You will never regret it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thanks for the links guys.
I'll just do that. If these loads are consistent.
I want to set up 4" high at 200.
I wanted to get above the 30 inch drop at 500

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you can get the interbond to 3200fps using a 2" high at 200 puts you at -29 at 500. A 4" high at 200 gives you -24 at 500.

If you don't have these you will be playing all weekend.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

http://www.jbmballistics.com/b...rs/calculators.shtml

As usual just my $.02
Paul K