New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-40 Krag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone offer a suggestion for a hunting load for a newly aquired 1896 Krag?

I have 220gr Hornady's that I plan to use for Elk. Have seen spec for this weight going 2200 but would value some of your opinions regarding it. I am ugly enough as it is and a bolt in the face surely will not help the situation. hillbilly

The rifle is in very good condition and has only seen 40 rounds go down the pipe since 1945.

Thanks for your help.
Noel

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Original .30-40 sporting loads were 220 gn at only 2000 fps. The military loads were, I believe, hotter. I've read the heat treat on the Krag rifles wasn't always the best, something that's a concern given there's only one locking lug. Since the original sporting loads had a decent reputation on game, I'd stick with that velocity and its lower pressures. Seyfried has written it is a very effective load, with superb penetration. He preferred 4064; 36 gn if my notes are correct. Lyman's 48th shows good performance with modest pressures with both 4064 and 4350 at the 2000 fps level; it suggests you might need a bit more than 36 gn of 4064. Many other powders are also listed, perhaps some you have on your bench. The old NRA book had duPont data suggesting 36 gn of 4064 might be a bit much for 2000 fps.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noel

The 30-40 Krag is a slick operating action that is a pleasure to shoot. If the action is in good condition I would not hesitate to use it for the smaller animals like deer or just for fun plinking. And there's no reason it would not work for those tiny Alberta elk. Wink Wink

I have a load that works great in my sporterized rifle (24" barrel). It is a Hornady 180 grain RN bullet, 43 grains of H4350. I chronographed it at 2175fps.

It's not a Benchrest rifle by any means but it will consistently group under 3" at 100 yards with a receiver sight.

Good Luck

ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I pulled the bullets on a batch of Remington 180-grain PSPCL .30/40 ammo once a few years back. It was advertised as giving 2400 FPS MV, and was obviously intended to be fired in the Krags. The powder LOOKED LIKE IMR 4350, BUT COULD HAVE BEEN ANY OF THE IMR-TYPES WITH GRANULES APPEARING THE SAME (such as IMR 4831, H4831, etc.) YOU CANNOT BASE POWDER ID ON APPEARANCE, and no-one knows what powder is in factory ammo except the factory! The charge was 47 grains.

However, in an attempt to see if the factory powder was indeed IMR 4350, I reloaded five rounds with that powder and also five additional rounds with 47 grains of IMR 4350 out of a can I had on hand. I fired and chronographed all ten rounds (in a Ruger No. 3!!). The average velocity for ten shots was 2420 FPS, and the ones loaded with the salvaged powder performed the same as those I had loaded with powder I knew was IMR 4350.

So. I am convinced that you can use IMR 4350 safely in a SOUND KRAG! Inspect the bolt, paying close attention to the locking lug! The US Krags I know of that failed developed cracked locking lugs! The casehardening on some Krag bolts rendered them too brittle.

For your uses, I would load up some 200-grain Nosler Partition bullets to a MV in the vicinity of 2100-2200 FPS. I have used these same bullets in a .303 British at that velocity (a No. 5). This proved a great deer and elk load out to 200 yards. If you started with 39 grains, I believe you could work up (in half-grain increments!!) to 43-44 grains, and get that velocity. Pressures of such a load would not exceed 40,000 PSI. If you want to use the 220's at 2000 FPS, I believe +-41 grains of IMR 4350 would do it for you. Again, approach from a somewhat lower level.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
My 1898 Krag Carbine gets primarily 3 different powders used...

the charges are
25 grs SR 4759
30 grs IMR 4198
30 grs RL 7...

this is with any bullet weight..

each produces enough velocity to match the distances in which the Krag is good for hunting at...

I love the 220 gr RNs also.. along with 180 RNs, and Nosler Ballistic Tip...

I look at my Krag as a 250 yd rifle and that is it..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to get some dies for my Krag. I lucked out a while back and got a Ross commercial rifle chambered in this caliber. thinking i would like to shoot some gas check lead loads.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the guidance. I pulled th ebolt out and everything appears to be excellent conditon. Bluing is only slightly faded.

I shot some of the 180gr Remington factory loads in this rifle last weekend. I would imagine they are the same load as El Deguello mentioned using. They chronographed just a bit over 2200. Keep in mind the barrel has been cut back to 22" that may be why we get a different velocity.
I will pull one of my facorty loads and weigh the charge.
I was hoping to use H4895, the 4350 seems like a good option too.

The 220 Hornady is a natural in this cartridge, with cases trimmed, the cannelure lines up perfect and the base of the bullet lines up with the neck base as well.

The goal is to try and duplicate the loads that would have been used inthe 30's when my Gramma's brothers would have been hunting with this caliber. Great Uncle Eiven's Western Cart Co. book lists the 220 going 2190. I am sure that will be more than enough giddy up to topple a bull within 200yds.

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
With regard to published, pressure tested data that stays below SAAMI limits, know that in the tests by Lyman, Winchester, and IMR, only Lyman was able to reach 2200 fps. Lyman and Winchester were using a 24" barrel and IMR a 25.5" barrel. You have only 22". Lyman's tests report Reloder-19 to be the only powder to reach 2200 from 24".

I would take those old Western specs as a "maybe" at best. I see no listing for barrel length. I believe the Krag rifles were issued with a 30" barrel, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Western data assumed that.

I'll stand by my advice to use 2000 fps as a goal. I certainly would never go beyond 2100 from 22" even in a Krag I felt was in good shape.

Karl (the Cautious)

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl, the cautious is wise! A hundred feet per second slower won't make enough difference anyway. To work on the side of caution will be the best for the rifle to have a long life not to mention the same for me.

Point taken. Wink

posted Hide Post
Accurate Arms lists a load From a 24 inch barrel
utilizing a Remington case, CCI 200 primer, Sierra
220 gr. RN and AA3100.

Charge weights range from a start load of 43.2 grs.
of AA3100 @ 1908 fps up to 48 grs. AA3100 @ 2168 fps and a pressure (listed) of 39,400 CUP.

That should be good for the old girl. Wink

Posts: 12 | Location: Fl, USA | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote