New
Find
Notify
Tools

WLR primers seat loose.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The WLR primers have been seating loose since they stopped plating them!

Today I was loading some in WW .270 brass and they seated very loose. Too loose to be comfortable with.

I pushed that one out and used the CCI BR-2 primers I have.

The WWLR unplated primers measured .2098" and .2097". They are from lot #DNL836G.

The CCI Br-2 primers measured .2106" and .2107".

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I"ve had the sames issues with Rem 9 1/2s @ .2100".

Primer dimensions: http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WLR primers seat loose.

Yes they do. I think the difference is that while the diameter of their cups is the same as most other primers the nickel plating on other primers increases the net diameter enough to cause them to seat more firmly.

I reserve WW primers for the initial loading with new or once-fired brass, since those primer pockets are a bit tighter than brass which has had several primers in and out of it.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cure to that problem IMO is the use of Federal 210s and 215s...and to a lesser degree CCI..A loose primer in a reload is an indication of excessive pressure and nobody stated if they were using new or shot brass, and how many reloads it had been subjected too. That could be a prime issue in your problem.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that as well. Hopefully Winchester addresses the issue. In 338 Win Mag, 72.5 grains of RL-19, 225 Accubond, ignited with a WLRM primer, has shot very well in every rifle tried, 6 and counting.
However, some are a bit too easy to seat.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The cure to that problem IMO is the use of Federal 210s and 215s...and to a lesser degree CCI..A loose primer in a reload is an indication of excessive pressure and nobody stated if they were using new or shot brass, and how many reloads it had been subjected too. That could be a prime issue in your problem.

Used up about 5000 of the loose, brass colored Winchesters and went to CCI #34s and the problem went away. Never knew how many times any of the cases were loaded. Didn't look into it but always suspected primer body tapper could be the case beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use brass colored WLR primers, so far I've no problems.. reloaded same brass 4-5 times..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I"ve had the sames issues with Rem 9 1/2s @ .2100".

Primer dimensions: http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

Yes, me too. Was on a hunt the other day, went to load, one of the primers was missing, must have fell out rolling around in my pocket. I think time to switch to Feds.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote