New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sako, Norma, or Lapua 6PPC Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hate the neck turning idea as much as you I reckon! I might go with dj's idea and try to find some Norma. I hate neck turning as much as I hate being in Iraq, that's alot. I'm am going to check out that tool though. If it makes it bearable, I just might be willing to spend the money. Thanks for the info fellas.

Chris

Posts: 118 | Location: Milton, Florida USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The Norma cases are nice, but they have about 8% less case capacity than the Lapua cases. I do not believe the Sako cases are available anymore, unless you can find some old stock. They also had a little less capacity than Lapua, if I'm not mistaken.

SAAMI neck dimensions for the 6ppc is .270; loaded, unturned Lapua cases mike about .270 to .271. Redding seaters will pinch these cases, also. Reformed Win 7.62x39 cases mike the same, but have the same case capacity as the Norma brass, roughly.

Another, new, source is the Grafs PPC brass. They have two lines of "quality", benchrest grade and varmint grade. I do not know if the benchrest grade is available. I believe it is made in the Check Republic. Give them a call about dimensions.

Lastly, neck turning is a PITA. The best turner is the "pumkin", a contraption advertised on Benchrest.com. K&M and Sinclair also make good ones. DO NOT BUY the Forster. It is a POS of the first degree.

First order of business is to find out what you neck dimension is. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Will,
I think that Lapua makes the cases for Sako. I have Sako and Norma cases. The Sako cases last a few reloadings longer, but not enough to write home about. You can probably get by fine with 300 cases. Unless you are filling them up with red dot you should be able to get 12-15 loads out of each case. That should get you through the useful barrel life with a little room to spare. The benchresters like the Lapua cases because they are so hard and tough. Those guys have a heavy hand on the powder measure handle. You can get prepped and turned Lapua cases for $1.11 each from Bruno Shooter Supply: www.brunoshooters.com
That makes sense if you have a tight necked chamber on your rifle. If it is a factory Sako or Ruger (they made their target/varmint rifle in 6PPC for a couple years back in the 1980's), you are probably best served by getting some Norma brass.

dj is a better man than I am. Every time I try and sit down to turn necks I always end up mowing the lawn, cleaning the toilet, or poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick until the mood passes.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote