THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Had To Hone .257 Wby Mag Shellholder To Get Ammo To Chamber.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had To Hone .257 Wby Mag Shellholder To Get Ammo To Chamber.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I reload for my and my son-in-law's .257 Wby Magnums. I purchased an RCBS FL die set. After FL sizing of once fired brass, the bolts would not close. I double checked the setup and still the brass wouldn't chamber (bolts wouldn't close). I sent the FL sizing die back to RCBS with brass fired in my gun as per RCBS' instructions. I got the new die back, and had the same problem. I sent this die back as well.

While waiting on RCBS, I purchased a used Lyman FL sizing die off Ebay. It worked great and all FL sized brass would chamber. Then I got the second RCBS die back. Brass sized in it still will not chamber. I thought I had read about honing the shell holder to get the sizing die to bump the shoulders back a little further, so I tried this and now the RCBS FL sizing die works great.

My questions: Should I have honed the base of the FL sizing die instead of the shell holder? Second, should I send the die back to RCBS again (for 3rd time) or just keep using it with the filed down shell holder? (NOTE: RCBS' customer service has been good--they've sent new dies each time, but they just don't work.) My inclination is to just keep using the RCBS die with the filed down shell holder and keep the Lyman as a spare or sell it.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you say the chambering problem was occuring in two separate rifles, then I guess that probably eliminates something wrong with the way your chambers were cut.

If you are sure that you were bringing the die in direct contact with the shellholder when sizing the brass (not just when testing out how far to screw in the die without any brass in the shell holder), then I guess that eliminates any problem with your technique.

I'd probably write RCBS a letter letting them know what you found that finally worked. They probably will be interested to know they may have a problem. But I'd keep the die now that you have it working. Since they already have the earlier die you sent in with the same problem, it doesn't seem like it would be productive just to mail another one in. But who knows, if RCBS asks for it because they tossed the earlier one, I might mail it in again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you quantify the effect, you don't strictly *know* that it is extra shoulder bump you achieve with the RCBS die used together with the modified shell holder. For all you (or we) know, it could also be additional sizing of the case web (or whatever the area just in front of the belt is called).

It is however a good idea to verify (e.g. by using a Hornady head space gauge) how much your die setup manages to bump your shoulder back. For optimal case life, it is advisable to have the sized case headspace on the shoulder (as opposed to on the belt). To do that, you need the shoulder bumped about .001-.002" in the sizing operation.

To me, this just goes to show that chambers and dies come in all sizes. Although it is not the norm, there is no guarantee that a given die will size your cases to be able to chamber in your chamber.

Which die would I keep?? That depends on how the dies size the cases. As mentioned above, I prefer a shoulder bump of about .001-.002". In addition, I prefer dimensions at shoulder and web to be reduced, maybe, .004-.005" below fired size. That will give you pretty reliable feeding in the field (in the face of dust, mud, water etc), yet work your brass as little as possible. Simply based on the description you supplied, I would have a hard time choosing between the dies. (As a matter of fact, I'd probably keep both dies, just to have an extra option, should the need arise).

- mike

P.S. just noticed you are sizing for two separate rifles. In that case, keep brass separate for the different rifles, and set a die up for each chamber. That will give you the most consistent results, and save you from having to re-adjust your dies to achieve the optimal shoulder bump.

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reloaded this cartridge for a Blaser K95 single shot which easily stops locking when the brass is only slightly over it's size limits.

I used both RCBS shell holder and die, purchased new about 9 months ago, it worked just fine.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem. Although mine was with a 270wsm. I also sent the dies back to RCBS with a letter explaining to them what was wrong. they sent me the same dies back and basicly told me I was doing something wrong. the dies still didn't work. this was VERY frustrating to me because I ahd just bought all my reloading equipment and the die did not work. So I got on here with my problem and I got numerous replies telling me to grind a few thosandths off the shell holder or die. this worked and I am now reloading very happily.

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fwiw...I'm the proud owner of a "shaved shellholder". I need it for a couple different guns I load for. Maybe the manuafacturers are getting better at cutting chambers to tighter tolerances...maybe the die makers need to tune things a bit. Also when it comes to wsm brass it is so tough and springs back so much this happens alot.
I don't sweat it....but I can also put in a big vote that the hornady headspace tool is WONDERFUL!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red C.:
I reload for my and my son-in-law's .257 Wby Magnums.
Hey Red, I'd encourage you to show him how to Reload and let him load his own.
quote:
...Should I have honed the base of the FL sizing die instead of the shell holder?
I also recommend the Shell Holder since it is the least expensive piece. Used to be able to File Shell Holders, but recently discovered the newer RCBS ones have been hardened. So, grinding them down slightly works better for me.
quote:
Second, should I send the die back to RCBS again (for 3rd time) or just keep using it with the filed down shell holder?...
I like to have an individual Die Set for each rifle, even if it is chambered the same. It would be very rare for two rifles to use the same amount of P-FLRing anyhow. Then there would be constant Die Adjusting "or" short Case Life in one of the rifles.

By the way, keep the Cases separated for each rifle.

Best of luck to you and the son-in-law.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
I like to have an individual Die Set for each rifle, even if it is chambered the same. It would be very rare for two rifles to use the same amount of P-FLRing anyhow. Then there would be constant Die Adjusting "or" short Case Life in one of the rifles.

By the way, keep the Cases separated for each rifle.

Yes, yes, YES!! thumb

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem with .40-65 reloads formed from .45-70 brass. The rolling block wouldn't close on them. So, I just ground the shell holder down on the belt sander by some amount -- as I recall about .025". Then, I resized the brass after screwing the die out a full turn and gradually (1/8 turn at a time) screwing it down until it would chamber. Granted, it's a straigh/tapered case but worked for me.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"