Find
Notify
Tools

Need Equipment recomendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted
Hi guys. I have never reloaded before to speak of but I am getting a new rifle soon and will need to dive in. (virtually all my other guns are MLs). I'll be needing to reload 9.3x74R and that only in smallish batches. Probably 50-75 rounds at a time.

Being new to this could you guys give me some advice about what equipment would be best to get to get started? (probably opening a can of worms here lol). Only doing small batches I think a single stage (if that's the correct term) would be more than adequate. Who makes a good kit that you would recommend?

Posts: 65 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
Oh, forgot to add. There is a complete NIB, Lee Challenger kit with a bunch of other stuff available second hand locally for what looks like a good price.

Is this a good set up for the 9.3x74R? Being a fairly long round I'm concerned.

Posts: 65 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Supercracker:
Oh, forgot to add. There is a complete NIB, Lee Challenger kit with a bunch of other stuff available second hand locally for what looks like a good price.

Is this a good set up for the 9.3x74R? Being a fairly long round I'm concerned.

It's never a good idea for the novice to pick up used equipment -not without help from a knowledgeable friend anyway. Not that one can't score a good deal because one often can, rather, it's a matter of determining if all the bits & pieces are there, and that it will work as intended. Your question above indicates to me that you are already cognizant of such issues and that's a good thing where hand loading ammo is concerned.

I strongly recommend RCBS's starter kit as one cannot go wrong with the Rock Crusher.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I started out with Lee equipment and it worked just fine. I wasn't real happy with their powder thrower as it would bind up with fine grained ball powder such as H-110, but asside from that the ammunition that came off the Lee press was just as accurate as that the came off a Lyman T-mag, RCBS rockcrusher and my current favorite press a Forster co-ax.

I loaded rounds from the deminutive 218 mashburn up to the 458 Lott, no probs with the Lee press.

The standard approach recomended to all reloaders is to get a reloading manual and read the intro section cover to cover several times to get a feel for what is required to reload ammo. The challenge you are going to have with the 9.3X74R is finding published load data, so find manuals that have data for your chambering. Hornady, Nosler and Barnes offer 9.3mm bullets, so I'd look at their manuals to see if they have data, and buy the manuals that have data for your round.

Reloading ammo isn't rocket science nor some black art. But each and every step is important, so be methodical in your approach and take your time.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the person that has the kit for sale has a couple of load books, why don't you borrow them and read the intro to reloading section. That'll give you some good insight into what you'll need.
If the Lee kit is complete, it'd be a good starting point. I bought a guy's kit (not Lee) and I got a whole bunch of dies and a lot of "nice to have" items that you tend to accumulate as part of the bargain.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. this particular one is the 50th anniversary kitt plus extra press, vibratory cleaner, 2sets carbide dies (don't know caliber)
shell holders case trimmers decappers. Everything is new in the box

for $200 Waiting for a call back from the guy.

What concerns me is that I don't see 9.3 dies anywhere on the Lee site.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I started reloading with a Lee Classic kit and still use the press but nothing else from the kit. Nothing wrong with the Lee kit at all, but I would suggest looking at an RCBS Rock Chucker for a couple reasons:

1. The powder scale that Lee supplies with the kits is VERY sensitive and was very frustrating to for a first timer to use. Virtually every beam scale offered by other reloading companues is made by Ohaus. Much easier to use.

2. The 9.3x74R is very long case and IIRC the Challenger window is not as long as some other presses. You might have to stick the bullet up in the die to be able to fit it in the window and then set it in the case mouth. I have to do that when loading my 404 Jeffery on my Lee Classic. Just an inconvienence and not a problem.
3. The Lee hand primer requires special shell holders and not the same as the ones used on your press. Again, not a problem, just a pain.

Good Luck!!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H: The challenge you are going to have with the 9.3X74R is finding published load data, so find manuals that have data for your chambering. Hornady, Nosler and Barnes offer 9.3mm bullets, so I'd look at their manuals to see if they have data, and buy the manuals that have data for your round.

Reloading ammo isn't rocket science nor some black art. But each and every step is important, so be methodical in your approach and take your time.

The Hornady and Nosler books both have data. Although, I have not yet bought the manuals, I certainly will be buying them. You can never have too much info I think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look Here!

The other nice thing about this is that if you need bits & pieces, or break something almost every store sells RCBS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would reccomend the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit. It is a little over $300 in most places. The bigger the piece of brass you are working with the more force is required to resize it. The Lee press may be able to handle it just fine but the Rock Chucker is a robust press. Plus I have seen a lot more old rock chuckers still in use that I have old Lee presses.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
you guys are killing me.

lolol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a co ax, bought used. I love it, but I would not discourage you from getting the Lee - it is a solid press, & all the major brands of presses will make good ammo. I would encourage you to check the price you Are getting on the kit & the tumbler (the dies & shell holders may not be much use if they are not the right size/caliber)against brand new to see if there might be an opportunity to negotiate.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
I've pretty well talked myself out of the Lee. Like you said, once I take out the dies it's nto that much of a savings. I can't depend on being able to sell the dies.

How about the Dillons? There is also a brand new R550B progressive floating around here that could be had fairly cheap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about Dillions. Aren't they the automatics that spit out dozens of round per minute? Regardless of which brand you go with, for starting out you need a simple, single stage press. I've been using single stage presses for almost 50 years and I am still interested in how well I can make ammo, not how fast.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Supercracker:
How about the Dillons? There is also a brand new R550B progressive floating around here that could be had fairly cheap.

A reasonably priced 550B is always a good deal, but I don't know if it's the right choice for a newbie. Do you plan to reload hand gun ammunition? If so consider the Dillon, if not get the Rock Crusher kit.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to go to RCBS directly and look at their 'seconds' list. Some good deals there. It's all just either cosmetic stuff or overstocked stuff returned.

One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Don't forget to go to RCBS directly and look at their 'seconds' list. Some good deals there. It's all just either cosmetic stuff or overstocked stuff returned.

THANKS
The button their list of seconds is well hidden on their site.

A Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit for less than half price.....yes please. That'll be on the way Monday.

Now, who has 9.3x74R dies they don't need? lol

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that's off of full MSRP, but even at the $246 thats $60 or so off anywhere else.

YEs, it's a bit hidden but when you find it, you;ll be checking there often for good deals on dies etc.