THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic Coefficient of .375 Winchester FMJ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Folks,

Anybody here know the ballistic coefficient of the Winchester .375 300gn FMJ bullet (and sectional density if you have it)? Can't find it on the Winchester web site.

Thanks!!

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody here posted this site yesterday. You will find the answers there:

http://www.molonlabe.net/johns/bcmain.htm

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Thanks for the link. I found it on a search earlier today. But unfortunately it only lists Failsafes by Winchester.

The bullets that I'm using are cheap FMJ style. Got them from Lock, Stock, and Barrel a couple of weeks ago.

Anybody else know what is the BC for these bullets?

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the BC, but the SD is the same as for any .375 300 gr bullet, by definition.

I too bought some of those bullets. I can't get them to shoot worth a flip in my gun. I get cloverleafs with Hornady Interlocks, and a 3" group with the FMJs. Have you had any luck with them?

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Pertinax,

Thanks. I knew that I could calculate the SD, and I have. Its .30476 (according to PointBlank).

I finally called Winchester and talked to their customer support department. They were unable to tell be the BC for the bullet either ( apparently never calculated). These bullets were originally sold only in loaded ammo. The gentleman was able to tell me the muzzle and 100 yd velocities of the Winchester loaded ammo. From that I used PointBlank to calculate the BC.

So here are the numbers that I used and calculated:

Muz. Vel: 2530
100 yd Vel: 2171
BC: 0.220
SD: 0.30476

(Note: I'm not sure at what temperature and humidity levels these velocities were taken)

I was working up a load this weekend and was able to eke out a .96" group out of one load using R15, CCI magnum primers, seating to the cannalure and lightly crimping. I don't have the amount of powder I settled on at hand, but I will get it for you later today, if you'd like.

Take Care,

-Steve

posted Hide Post
Steve,

If I remember correctly, Winchester used/uses Hornady solids in their ammo (or is that Remington? [Confused] )

Georg

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
Steve Is this 300gr bullet have a steel core. You can use Hornady B.C..295 S.D..341

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
George,

You are too good! You're right. I called Hornady and they said the they did indeed make the .375 300 gn bullets for Winchester (AND Remington). They were also able to tell me the the actual BC, which is .275. (hummm, makes me wonder about the velocities that Winchester was quoting [Roll Eyes] ).

The SD number from my original e-mail was correct, .30476.

Paul,

I forgot to ask the Hornady gentleman if these bullets had a steel core. I think that I will try to hacksaw one apart.

As long as the diameter and weight of any two given bullets are the same, shouldn't the SD remain the same? I don't think that the structure or materials would make a difference.

Sooooo, here are the numbers again for those interested in or have bought these bullets from LSB:

BC: 0.275
SD: 0.30476

Thanks Guys!!

-Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady FMJs used to have a steel jacket with a lead core. To find out, use a magnet.

The latter Hornadies have a brass jacket.

Of course, just because Hornady made them for Winchester and Remington doesn't automaticaly mean they were all the same. Each company may of had different requirements or opinions on what made a great FMJ.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they are steel core, that would explain why they are so long. They are substantially longer than the Hornady soft points. This is limiting my ability to get them up to proper velocity.

Pertinax

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only military solids have steel core, not commercial bullets for dangerous game they have lead cores and steel jackets with copper over the jackets....Speer has a tungston core bullet.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just checked and they are magnetic. I don't have the equipment to section one, but something in there is attracted to a magnet. I scratched the exposed core at the bottom, and it scratches easily, like lead. Perhaps they have a two piece core, steel in the front and lead at the rear. I could not identify any difference in magnetic attraction from the nose to the base, so I can't be sure.

Hmmm... I'm going to shoot one at a steel plate.

Pertinax

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Well folks, I cut one of these buggers in half and they are definitely steel jacketed with a lead core.

The jacket appears to be copper plated (inside and out) and the lead core is not bonded to the jacket (one half fell out after I cut the bullet).

For those interested here are some measurements that I made out of curiosity. I was able to leave one half at .373"(diameter) after cutting it. The core is ~.270". Total jacket thickness at the cannular is ~.065". Jacket thickness at the tip is ~.117". Outside plating thickness is ~.015".

Please bear in mind that these measurements were made with a dial caliper and eyeballing it, sooooo...

Take Care,

-Steve

[ 07-10-2002, 07:27: Message edited by: Steve ]