New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen from 30-06 brass?
 Login/Join

<bjk>
posted
I am planning to purchase the 2 die set from Midway for 35 Whelen ($24). I was going to use this to resize '06 to 35 Whelen, should this work OK, or should I be looking at another type of die or setup?

Thanks for the info
Brian

posted Hide Post
Brian,
It's better to neck your brass up in stages than in one large (.050" is relatively large) move, especially if using the standard RCBS dies.
If you're going to neck up, use tapered expanders like those found on Hornady New Dimension dies (I think you can buy extra tapered expanders from Hornady).
Get an expander in .338" and another in .358". Run the cases into the die with the .338" expander installed first, then swap the .358" in and finish the job.

I don't know if you are aware of it, but .35 Whelen brass is available to handloaders.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<MAKATAK>
posted
I concur with GeorgeS, Brian, having a 338-06 and gone through several iterations on the subject.

I would also suggest using 270 or 280 brass.

When you expand upwards the brass usually shortens so having the extra length allows you to trim to the full size.

Having said that I've haven't experienced any problems with brass up to 0.030" short.

My 338-06 has a long neck to begin with so I use 270 or 280 and end up with brass usually about 0.030" longer than standard '06 and twice that from formed '06 cases.

I would also suggest using Norma or Lapua brass. You start out with almost perfect brass and save the time having to do all the other accuracy things, i.e., flash holes, primer pockets, weighing and neck turning. I can guarantee you'll save time and money in the long run.

Or; just buy factory 35 Whelen and go shooting, you'll end up with cases matching your chamber and have some fun also.

Good Luck

<bjk>
posted
I appreciate the info. I know I can get 35 Wh. brass, but figure there is so much 06 available for cheap, I thought I would go this route. If it turns into a big deal, I'll likely go with new 35 brass.

Thanks again
Brian

posted Hide Post
You're welcome, but Midway sells .30-06 brass $24/100 and .35 Whelen brss $28/100 (both R-P brand).

Spending the $4 will save you LOTS of time; unless you're unemployed, your time is worth a lot more than $4.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<bjk>
posted
Getting new brass will likely be my route.

Thanks again
Brian