Find
Notify
Tools

None-lube dies!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi!

I am real tiered of lubing my brass so I wondered if there is anybody who makes carbid dies for riflecalibers?.

Thanks! Jens

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
DILLON, RCBS But they still have to be lubed

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes there are some carbide dies made for rifle calibers BUT GUESS WHAT?.... any bottle neck case has to be lubed. Sorry, thats just the way it is right now. I wonder if there is some other material to make dies out of that won't get stuck without lube? Maybe some sort of space age ceramic or something? We supposedly landed men on the moon, you'd think some of these mental giants could find something that would work. Until then keep lubing if you don't want a stuck case and also keep smiling.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
Yes there are some carbide dies made for rifle calibers BUT GUESS WHAT?.... any bottle neck case has to be lubed. Sorry, thats just the way it is right now. Until then keep lubing if you don't want a stuck case and also keep smiling.

I wasn`t aware of that! But I was thinking dies for my 8x57, .270Weatherby, 416Rigby, 300H&H and the upcoming .333Jeffery!

But I`ll keep on lubing with a smile Mad

Thanks for the answers! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neck sizing will eliminate lube.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla:
Neck sizing will eliminate lube.

That`s what I was planning! Cool!

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not all neck sizers are lube free. But if you are looking for an economical die, that loads straight ammo, and is used without lube, look no further than the Lee Collet die. It has its drawbacks (more later), but it loads very straight ammo for a very reasonable price. It is not available in all calibers, but Lee will make you a custom die for just about any caliber for $50. The regular dies are about 20-25$. Some of them only come in combination with a Lee seater, which I always chuck. Plus, you are likely to need a different die lock ring.

The Collet die works the brass very little, which is part of the reason it loads such straight ammo. But that also makes it a bit problematic when you work with workhardened brass. Normally, polishing down the decapping mandrel 0.001" solves the problem. Being a Lee product also means, that some of the dies are a bit rough as they come from the factory. But judicious polishing and a bit of grease in the right place normally takes care of that problem.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try hornady one shot lube.it comes in an aeosol can andsells for about $7.I lay all the cases on a metal tray that has oneside cut out end to end.then I face all the cases so the lube enters the neck,aquick shot down the line,one more shot to lube the sides. takes longer to get set-up than the process itself.

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote