THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    New (to me) 9.3x74R O/U - Winchester Grand European.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (to me) 9.3x74R O/U - Winchester Grand European.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Loaded almost everything except a rimmed case. Anything special I should know and maybe what components are good and which I should avoid.

I just fell into this rifle and i'm excited about getting to shoot it...factory ammo is more than I thought it would be so I need to laod my own.

Has anyone ever heard of NORMA 296 gr nickel plated PPDC bullets ... and what does PPDC stand for?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know what PPDC stands for, but I use two different Norma 286 gr. (not 296 gr.) bullets in my O/U 9.3 double rifle...one is the earlier, I think, plain copper-jacketed bullet with round lead tip, and the other looks like a different, later, version (nickle-plated w/round polymer tip) of the same bullet.

Both work just great.

If you decide to go with that weight and need to know my load, I'll go downstairs and look it up for you.

Your rifle should be a dandy. Congratulations!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Norma factory load with 285 grain Oryx. The PPDC could be their plastic point -- you could look at their website to see if it helps.

Do you know what bullet weight and velocity was used to regulate this rifle? Some 9.3x74R doubles are regulated with a lighter bullet.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill
The 9,3x74R is a great hunting round. Search some of my previous posts. I like the 286 Woodleigh Soft or the 286 Nosler Partition.
I have handled one of those Win Grand Americans, nice rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
Has anyone ever heard of NORMA 296 gr nickel plated PPDC bullets ... and what does PPDC stand for?

DB Bill

PPDC is norma plastic point bullet. A very fast expanding and fragile bullet, it's very popular for driven hunts in Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Belgium.

Norma made a nickel plated version called silverblixt quite some time ago, I think plastic point PPDC also been offered with nickel plated jacket.

Norma, RWS, Sako makes decent brass.

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 9.3x74r's 2 Valmet O/U and Chapuis SxS. Only trouble I had was the poor case life of Norma brass. 2 loads and it was starting to show a ring. I split a case and they were VERY thin at that point. RWS was much better but about the only thing I could get at that time was Norma. I preferred Woodleigh solids and Nosler Partitions. All my guns were easy to load for and shot well. Had a Winchester but it was 30-06. The 9.3x74r is one of my all time favorites.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
Loaded almost everything except a rimmed case. Anything special I should know and maybe what components are good and which I should avoid.

I just fell into this rifle and i'm excited about getting to shoot it...factory ammo is more than I thought it would be so I need to laod my own.

I believe that bullet is a 286-grainer, not 296. The PP may mean plastic point, but the DC means Dual Core. It has a jacket of mild steel with a cupronickel jacket over the steel (a kind of sandwich!). This construction type was the one used by Norma in the original factory 180-grain load for the .308 Norma Magnum, and a great bullet it was. Are they still making it??

(I see NOTHING on NORMA's current web site to indicate that they are still making that bullet.)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote