New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: Compressed Load 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I know the answer but checking with the experts. I was loading up 62 gr RL 15 w/225 gr TSX last evening. Yes, the load is a couple over book and is a compressed load.

I feel the bullet seat at 3.32 and then STICK in the seater and pull out. Bullet stuck in the seater. I assume this is due to the downward pressure to seat the compressed load which jams the bullet into the seater stem and upon withdrawing the bullet remains in the seater. I cannot seat farther out as magazine is 3.34 max. This is a tang Ruger.

Is this common and is there a solution other than change powder/use less powder?

Thanks.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you feel the bullet going in the case mouth ?. Seems to me you have to big of an opening and you cases are not gripping your bullet.
I sugjest you remove the decapping pin asembly from you size die and resize making sure your case goes all the way into the the die, with the die screwed into a point about the depth of a nickle from the shell holder.
Then check and see how the bullets fit then...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I feel it going into the case mouth. Actually several have in fact seated at the proper depth and now the last few I feel go into the mouth and then stick in the seater coming out. I am thinking it is just too much pressure to compress the load and making the bullet stick in the seater.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It is hard for me to picture that .02" of compression is pushing your bullet back out. I've seen bullets that were pushed into case that were 100% full of powder and hold.

Two issues come to mind to me. First one is what Thomas stated. You don't have enough neck tension to hold the bullet. Caused by work hardened necks, to large an expander or bullets that are slightly undersized. Second is the shape of the seater not agreeing with the shape of the TSX bullet.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps if you vibrate the powder filled case to settle it more, you wouldn't need so much pressure to seat the bullet?

Unless you have access to the not yet published Barnes manual #4, the load data you reference is still for the old X bullet, not the TSX. I believe Barnes made the blanket statement that TSX's can take more powder than X's. In your situation it's how much you can squeeze into the case that is the limiting factor.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good info here and thanks for sharing. First these are new (but crap) remington cases - did not fl resize before loading.

When stem is screwed out w/bullet engaged it takes substantial pressure to work the bullet out of the stem, so I think it must be (1) seating pressure; (2) stem does not match up to the 225 TSX or (3)TBD. The new cases are full to 1/2 up the neck when I begin seating operation and seat almost to the top of the shoulder.

Yes, I am using the regular Barnes bullet info. Still waiting for them to send the new one.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I used moderatelty compressed loads in my M77 in 338-06. The bullet stays where I seat it. It sounds like you are not getting a proper neck tension. It may be the RP cases it may also be your seating stem. Check it for burrs, maybe polsih it. The bullet shouldn;t stick into the stem.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
I have a 35 Whelen. I also use RL-15 and my best load was 59.5 grs. Velocity was 2734FPS. With a 225Gr Nosler BT.

I found it was a diminishing return. As I loaded more powder actually velocity went down instead of increasing.

I use a 24" Krieger barrel and a chrongraph.

Best wishes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If theyare "new unsized" cases how do you
know what the neck tension is?.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see two things going on:
One, you have new cases that haven't been sized. That could very easily be giving you too little neck tension. It is a simple matter to run them through the sizer to uniform & resize the neck.
Two, the seater stem is catching the bullet. When that happens, I use a bullet and lap it into the seater stem recess with a cordless drill, a bit of fine lapping compound, and just a bit of wiggle. It will also eliminate the seater stem from making a ring around bullet noses.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing like having help from all those who have BTDT! Thanks so much. I did some more work on the project last night. Did neck size the new brass gently as they were primed of course.

Put a bullet in empty case and it seated properly. Next I loaded the 62 gr RL15 and yeppers bullet stuck in the stem once again. Well now I am convinced it is the compression forcing the bullet to wedge into the stem. Dropped charge to 61 gr and still had problem. Dropped charge to 60 gr and problem solved. All remaining loads seated properly, barely. Still wanted to pull out slightly on the downstroke but I do believe I will do the lapping BUG suggested above. Guess I will just have to be content with the accuracy with the 60 gr charge.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Hope to return the favor.