Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which kit?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit and the RCBS Accessory Kit.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason you are getting a kit?

I mean they are very cost effective up front, but I bought a Hornady progressive kit years ago and have proceeded to replace everything in the kit except the press, powder drop and dies over the years. I wonder if it would have been more cost effective to buy the items I wanted instead of getting a kit.

Let me think
Different reloading book, better scale, hand held priming station requiring rcbs shell holders, different lube, different primer tray, different funnel, decided I was better off for some cartridges to have a single stage press and different dies.

Just thinking out loud.

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I purchased a RCBS Master Reloading kit about 25 years ago and have never had to replace any thing because nothing has ever broken or wore out. I load for over 30 different guns and up until last year when I added a RCBS Piggy Back 11 progressive press kit for loading handgun bullets I have never had a problem or wear. I load thousands of rounds each year with this press.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you decide, I suggest you take a look at the Lee Classic Cast press. I recently bought one. It is steel, and it is well designed. It claims the longest stroke, and the widest opening available. You can read owners' comments at www.midwayusa.com by searching on the name. At $60, I think it is really hard to beat.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
denton:
Quote:

I suggest you take a look at the Lee Classic Cast press. I recently bought one. It is steel, and it is well designed. It claims the longest stroke, and the widest opening available. You can read owners' comments at www.midwayusa.com by searching on the name. At $60, I think it is really hard to beat.

Why is it we get these images?....you know like Willy Nelson.....whenever I hear that name I think....."take a bath".....

Now whenever I hear the name "LEE" in reloading I just think .....junk.....pure junk.....I had more respect for Herter's in the older days!!!!

In all fairness, I've heard that it's a pretty good press and I'm considering getting one just to pacify my addiction.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I think it is true about single stages producing more accurate rounds, but for one reason. If you want to ensure you are getting the most accurate rounds you measure EVERYTHING. Progressive presses are about volume, if you want the most accurate rifle rounds, buy a single stage and measure everything, especially EACH powder charge. You could probably get away with not measureing each charge on a high end dispenser, but I would still recommend it, and frankly I don't know anyone that wouldn't.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote