Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

newby question
 Login/Join

posted
Hi this is really a newby problem. I set 2 primers upside down, when you stop laughing can anyone tell if there is a safe way to deprime the upside down live primers.
thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spray them with WD-40 well, and let sit for a minute or two. Then deprime like you always do.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aikido73:
Hi this is really a newby problem. I set 2 primers upside down, when you stop laughing can anyone tell if there is a safe way to deprime the upside down live primers.
thanks
Hey Aikido, The trick is to "ease" them up against the Deprimer Pin.

Be sure to wear some good impact resistant glasses and I wrap an old towel around the bottom of the ram where the Primer Anvil would shoot out if it did ignite.

S-l-o-w and careful.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be sure to wear some good impact resistant glasses and I wrap an old towel around the bottom of the ram where the Primer Anvil would shoot out if it did ignite.

Probably a good safety precaution just in case. Still hit them with WD. A good blast so its soaked, a drop of oil will do the same thing if you have any sewing machine oil ( or 3 and 1 )in your cleaning kit.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a note for future safety. About ten tears ago, a friend who builds custom furniture, had an idea to decorate thr arms of some kitchen chairs with different shell case heads countersunk into the wood. He called and asked me for some of the old brass that he knew I had and sent me some that he had. He asked me to cut them off just above the web and de-cap them. He soaked large and small rifle primers in 3 in 1 oil for 3 weeks before seating them in the cut off case heads. When the chairs were finished they looked great. Now the safety part. A couple of weeks later he got to thinking about the primers and took some out of the oil and seated them in some cases. You bet, they all went bang. be very careful when de-capping live primers!

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the advise.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The oil thing may or may not work. Just decapp as normal, wear safety glasses & go slow. BTW, not dumb, happens all the time especially w/ progressive presses.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Yeah, listen to Fred, not a "newbie" problem.

Why, if I had a quarter for every upside down primer...I would have a bunch of quarters.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can tell youre a "newbie" If you were experienced youd learn to get them in there sideways! LOL Just wear glasses and decap them slowly and youll be fine

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote