Find
Notify
Tools

338/06 -180 - H414
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Had a load for my 338/06 a couple years ago and cant remember the powder charge! (cant find where i wrote it down either), If i remember right i found it on Hodgdon web sight but not listed anymore. This rifle loved the H414, behind a 180 gr. bulistic tip that was deadly on whitetails around here. (180 No longer made- real tears cause i liked it and so did this rifle). None of my books show a starting / max. load, can anyone help?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon's #26 shows a 57 gr start with the 200 gr bullet and Barnes #3 shows a 62.5 gr start with the 185 gr X. As such I would start with 60 grs and go from there. By the way, the 185 gr TSX is a wonderful bullet, fast, accurate and proven on deer and elk for me.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boxhead, that was the info i was looking for. I did find where i had some side notes in a book i have and runs right along with what you said. I have the 185s in the TSXs in 338 Federal, but waiting on me to build the rifle that shoots them, may give them (the TSX bullets)a try after i run out of the B.Ts.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
(180 No longer made- real tears cause i liked it and so did this rifle).

I've found the Accubond to load basically the same as the BT. Nosler has seconds on sale at $12.95. http://www.noslershop.com/cgi-bin/virtualcatalog/Catalo...ale&displayNumber=55

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
What is the diffrence between the AccuBond compared to the Bulistic tips. I see The AccuBond in 180 gr. in 338. Is it a heavier jacket the 338 B.T. were suspose to have a heavier jacket made for big game, and i never had any blow ups on whitetails with the B.Ts. I thought it was a damn nice bullet. Have a box and a half left then its on to something else!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Srtrax..I have been using the 180gr accubonds in my
338-06AI...I have had good results using the Nosler data for the 180gr BT. Velocity and accuracy are good. From what I can gather the accubonds are meant to fly like a BT and perform closer to a Partition. The jacket is bonded to the core and is supposed to hold together quite well...

Haven't killed enough critters with that bullet yet to know if the claims are true, but it does work well...on a trip to NZ last April I shot a red stag at 200+ yds and he was flattened on the spot, later shot a feral goat at about 40yds and the bullet performed there as well...

Have not been using H414 though. My powder of choice has been H4895. I plan to use that bullet on whitetails soon.....

Zeeriverrat

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what I can gather the accubonds are meant to fly like a BT and perform closer to a Partition. The jacket is bonded to the core and is supposed to hold together quite well...

Yep what he said. I used to use BT for light game and Part for heavy. I now use accubonds for all. My elk rifle is a 338 wildcat. Your 339-06 + about 11 grs. I did use the 180s for deer and 210s for elk. I now use the 200s for all. In 7mm I have used the same accubonds from 7x57-7stw and inbetween with excellent results.

In my larger case I use 4895 and RL15.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, sounds like that may well be the next bullet i try out!