New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 338-06 and improved...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went with the 40-deg AI version myself, using Redding dies. The only problem I have is case forming - I haven't found my 'perfect' method yet. True, the regular 338-06 should stop this shoulder-forming trouble, but I would still use something like 35 Whelen brass to start with - just to make sure you match the headspace in your chamber correctly. The 338-06 brass now available may or may not use that same headspace datum as your chamber - better safe than sorry, I think, since this cartridge has so recently been "standardized". Just my $.02.

Again, the AI version lacks nothing for me in performance. I have no need for a 338 WM if using this cartridge. There is a small feeding bobble as the squared shoulder pops out of the magazine, but I think a little work on the follower will sort that out. It hasn't been enough trouble for me to spend the time fixing it - put it that way. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The variances can be subtle with many of these cartridges, but they're also very real in some cases. For the record, the .338-06 and the .338-06 A-Square are the same critter.

Based on the testing I've done, as well as testing that my friends have done with these .338-06 variations, the regular old .338-06 will give the least amount of hassle, best economy, optimum performance for the .30-06 case, plus the availability of factory ammo (Weatherby .338-06 A-Square).

If you need more power than the original .338-06 provides, go with the .338 Win. Mag. or .340 Wby..........

AD

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
see what you can find here http://www.reloadbench.com/main.html

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. I hadnt thought of a feeding problem... I want to leave the bolt face and action stock for a 30-06 case. Thought id like to try something with a bigger bore than a 30 cal.
Regular 338-06 seems the way to go.

I have another old modified model 30 action with alittle primer gas pitting on the bolt face ,maybe that one would be good for a bigger cartrige

What are your thoughts on the 338 Dakota cartrige? I know the brass is $$$.
Like to stay away from belted mags.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If oyu want as little hassle as possible, stay w/ the std. .338-06. As for the .330 Dakota, I have always wanted a bolt rifle in this caliber & a .338wm chamber cleans up nicely. I had a 7rm rechambered to 7mm Dakota & really like the extra perf. Brass is pricey, but it's a big game round not a varminter, so 100 cases will last quite awhile. The Dakota brass is good quality & I am on 5 loadings w/ 1 batch & everything is still tight.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote