New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 rem crimp die for Rigby?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am assuming that the Lee factory crimp die made for the Rem mag should work just as well with the Rigby. Is this valid? Anybody done it?. Thanks "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I measured mine, the diameter is .535 this means the Rigby case body (.590) won't fit into the die.

The way they are made they will work for cases of smaller diameter, and can be shortened slightly for shorter cases, but not the other way around.

It would be an easy matter to cut a 416Rem die down to use for a 416 Taylor, and the cutting is not critical - you could use a Dremel rather than a lathe.

Sorry,

Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 01-27-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Lee will make a custom crimp die for any caliber they don't keep in regular stock.

Compared to the price of a inventory die, the cost is quite a bit higher.

However, if you'rem shooting a rifle chambered in Rigby, a few bucks probably won't matter.

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee will make the crimp die, 25 bucks is not much, but the case has to fit an existing Lee shell holder...

Perhaps the Rem die can be shortened or reamed out: only the Rigby�s neck has to enter the die.

I wish Lee would make their trimmers and factory crimp dies in more calibers. Heck, they could even make money with them!

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another solution is to turn about 4 thousands off the expander ball and use a powder that pretty well fills the case to half way up the neck or a bit less...That works very well indeed...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee will make you a .416 Rigby crimp die, unless you piss them off real bad, or don't send the money, or something; they made one for me.

Lee makes at least an Auto-Prime shellholder for .416 Rigby. It's probably the same one they use for the .45-70, and it doesn't fit real well. It was unusable in their priming tool, even after I modified their priming tool. I ended up having a shellholder custom-made for the original Lee priming tool because I like that one, but it wasn't cheap, even though the gunsmith undercharged me. A normal person would just buy an RCBS hand priming tool and use the RCBS or Redding shellholder, which seem to fit the cases just fine.

I think the "for anything they make a shellholder for" applies to case trimmers, not to crimp dies.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote