New
Find
Notify
Tools

low power deer loads
 Login/Join

<jsirm>
posted
Hi, I have been hunting sitka blacktail and have been tayloring my loads to the hunting conditions. I have been making a 300 Savage out of my 30-06. my first atttempt was a 165gr Core-loct at 2500 fps, which performed great on a 120 pound buck through the lungs at 30 yards but did not exit, which I was disapointed about. My next load was a 180 grain core loct at 2400 fps. it did an outstanding job on a 100 pound buck at 25 yards, exiting and leaaving a great blood trail, but its damage was more than needed, I dont expect instant kills, I expect the deer to make a mad dash for a few seconds and to hear it collapse, which is what all the deer that I make good heart/lung hits do. so now to my question
What loads do you like for close range hunting for small deer where you can pass on all but broadside shots, not including headshots. My next try will be lowering the veolocity of the 180 rem. bullet to perhaps 2200 fps. thanks for all the input.
Ian

<'Trapper'>
posted
Try loading the Hornady 30/30 bullet, 170gr FP to about 2450-2500fps and come back and tell us what it does to a deer. I have loaded a lot of these in both 308 Winc and in 30/06 and they sure do a number in the thick stuff here in Georgia. Sounds like our whitetails are about the same size as the deer you are after.
"Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!"
Regards,

------------------
'Trapper'

<Paul Dustin>
posted
The bullet I like for close range hunting is the PMC Star Fire 30-30 bullet. I shoot this bullet out of my 308Win Pistol at 2486fps at 75 to 100yds this bullet puts a 2" exit hole and most deer drop in there tracks

one of us
posted Hide Post
In order to kill an animal you have to tear him up a bit, thats what kills quickly, in order to stop bruishing you have to use a tough bullet at about 2200 to 2400 at the muzzle...I have had great luck with the 220 gr. bullets Corelokt and Nosler at that velocity....to stop the bruising you will have to except a run from the animal so use something that leaves a good blood trail...

Your 180 corelokt at 2200 will probably work, at any rate your on the right track.. Push a 30-30 bullet at 2400 to 2500 and it will get pretty explosive as it is designed for 2200 or less...

My best so far is a GS FN solid out of a 404 Jefferys...You can eat to the hole and they will leave a heavy blood trail. A FN lead bullet from a 45-70 should work pretty well also..Its still pretty hard to beat the old 30-30 or 25-35 at short ranges say 150 yds and less....perfect deer rifles.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BMG>
posted
For me this year it was a toss up between the 32" barreled 47-70 and 405gr LFP or the CZ 7.62x39 carbine with 180gr RN. Since I will be still hunting in the cedar swamps this year and not up in a tree, I opted for the carbine. The only drawback is that the bullets can't be going any faster than about 2000fps or so. Any deer hit in the chest area will expire just the same because shots over 50yds won't be available.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I've been loading the barnes 30-30 150 grain bullet. (big hollowpoint on this bullet)
It's been working great for my buddies 30-30.
Then I thought (like some ofthe rest of you) that it would be cool to load down my '06 to 30-30 speed. I did so and shot a deer last yr with strange results. I hit him in the shoulder at about 75 yds and the bullet deflected straight down and out the brisket.
It did enough damage that he laid down about 100 yds from the hit and I finished him there. BUT, this incident has scared me enough to not try this anymore. I've seen Gerard from GS bullets post that "long" bullets have a tendancy to tumble in an animal. That 30-30 bullet from barnes is fairly long cause it's pure copper. Maybe it was just a "fluke" combination of speed, length, and some sort of deflection off of a bone. At any rate--I think I'll go back to good old 150's that blow decent size holes through the lungs and out the ribs at the speed they were intended for from now on.
Just wanted to relate my story.

<Cobalt>
posted
BMG,
Wow--180gr out of your 7.62x39! I thought I was pushing the envelope working up loads for the 150gr bullets. This has got me thinking about moving up to the 165's. What load are you using on the 180's? Thanks, Cobalt

<reloaderman>
posted
Trapper, I use that 170 gr 30-30 bullet in my 30-40 Krag Ruger #3, WOW does it knock-em down! About 2450fps by my crony. I shot a buck that was standing quartering towards me, and caught him where the neck meets the body, stood him right up and fell in his tracks! He was about 85 paces away with a 2" exit hole above his shoulder.