Find
Notify
Tools

How hard can it be?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
How hard can it be to properly center the flash hole in NEW brass? I just got some 300RUM brass for my 338 Edge, 11 out of the 50 pieces had an off center flash hole. One was so bad that it broke the decaping pin on the die. You got to love Rem brass (insert sarcastic voice here).

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That can happen with any brand. I already got a new box of 458 Lott brass from Hornady where several did not even have a flash hole. How is that for a dangerous game cartridge which could have cost a person their life. Imagine standing before an elephant at 10 yards and the rifle goes "click"!!!!!! Needless to say, Hornady heard about it.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't you folks LOOK at your shit before you start? I can't imagine putting a primer in a case without a flash hole. Nor do I think I would put enough pressure on a resizing die to break the depriming pin. Actually, assuming the flash hole was off enough so's the pin would completely miss, I think I would notice it before I tried to resize it.
Why were you resiing new brass anyway?
FWIW, I have read that off center flash holes don't affect the cartridge's accuracy nor velocity. (aside from being a PIA to deprime)

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Don't you folks LOOK at your shit before you start? I can't imagine putting a primer in a case without a flash hole. Nor do I think I would put enough pressure on a resizing die to break the depriming pin. Actually, assuming the flash hole was off enough so's the pin would completely miss, I think I would notice it before I tried to resize it.
FWIW, I have read that off center flash holes don't affect the cartridge's accuracy nor velocity. (aside from being a PIA to deprime)

I am turning 300RUM into 338 Edge. No, I am not trying to punch through with the depriming pin. When sizing up there is an abrupt let off and sometimes I let the shell go in a little hard. I have learned my lesson though. I should be inspecting cases before I re-size and not during case prep.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma brass does not have this issue because they drill the holes. I assume the drill is guided by a bushing.

I am not sure what the excuse is for the off centered holes in everyone elses brass. I have seen it in every brand including some military ammo.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why not?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brand new brass comes with mouth dents, etc.
Brand new Norma brass:

Brand new Remington brass:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12706 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently someone missed the part where I said to LOOK at your shit before you start in. AND, there is a whole lot of difference between rounding out the mouth of a case and bumping the case mouths over the resizing ball to ensure that they are round and resizing the cases.
As far as "why not". It's your time to waste, you can waste it in any manner you would like BUT I've better things to do. Like actally shooting some ammo.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yep takes .5 seconds to full cycle the handle of the press....go ahead a keep short strokin Wink

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brand new brass comes with mouth dents, etc.
Brand new Norma brass:

There is a lot of brass that gets damaged at the factory. I have never bothered to photograph it. I just move on.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because it needs to be done. Would load brand new brass and go hunting with it? I would not.

Do you chamfer new brass? I do. Do you check or uniform primer pockets on new brass? I do.

Just waist'n time in Texas! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said, you can waste your time anyway you'd like. Short stroking thru the neck doesn't require that you lube the cases.
And as far as the other tedious stuff that some folks are all done up in, I chamfer the necks of the new case and load 'em up and shoot 'em.
Any real case prep I do, I do after I have fire formed the case. When building hunting ammo,I have yet to discover any real advantage to doing much of the anal stuff some folks crow about.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wasbeeman,
As long as you at least re-size the neck to assure good bullet grip. My experience with virgin brass is that does need to have the neck sized. Bullets tend to be "loose" in virgin brass. While you are at it might as well size the case. Just my opine and time.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
How hard can it be to properly center the flash hole in NEW brass? You got to love Rem brass (insert sarcastic voice here).

I just finished loading a 100rds of 375H&H for a buddy using new Remington brass. I saw the same things as you; off center flash holes, just about every case mouth was dented to some degree. Most were not bad but a few were. Some of the headstamps could not even be read. I've used Norma, Hornady, Winchester, Federal and Bell brass and never seen those as beat up as the Remy stuff was.
Maybe Remington's QC includes having a fat chick step on each bag of brass before shipment and rub the case head over sandpaper a few times.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got through prepping 100 pieces of Lapua 6.5-284 into 6-284, I had three of them with problems, one had a cracked mouth, one was so far out of concentric I could see it by eye and the last one I think was my fault. So I guess 2 out of a hundred = 2% scrap rate... that aint too shabby.

Posts: 42 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Wasbeeman,
As long as you at least re-size the neck to assure good bullet grip. My experience with virgin brass is that does need to have the neck sized. Bullets tend to be "loose" in virgin brass. While you are at it might as well size the case. Just my opine and time.

And it just takes one full second longer....wow

Waste time Full stroking brass and we are typing on a computer forum? Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
I buy new brass because I want it new not resized if I wanted to resize it I would buy 1x fired, I have tested and retested new vs 1x fired and NS and FL sized and find accuracy the same and the FPS a little faster on average in new brass vs 2x 3x fired.

I check all new brass and will neck size any out of round case mouths, deburr flash holes and chamfer cases.

I only use new brass or 1x fired for hunting BG.

That's the way I do it and if you want to do it different that's fine with me.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote