New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEE equipment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I already have bought and have partially used LEE equipment to resize and deprime about 500 357 and 38 special cases. I got my powder and a buddy is bringing his scale over this weekend to verify any settings on my LEE perfect powder measure. Anyways, there seems to be a big debate in the community as I have read about LEE equipment vs others. Whats the beef? As a 13 yr veteran auto technician I can tell you that a $900 craftsman box holds my tools as well as a $5000 Snap on box just with less bragging rights. And believe me I wouldn't lie, Cadillacs and Jaguars break down just as much as buicks. Yet they cost a hell of alot more. I have some craftsman, snap on, mac, and matco tools, KD and others. They all do the job and do it well cause if they didn't I would not make money. And a set of Craftsman pro series wrenches haven't rounded any more corners than a snap on wrench and cost about $200 less. Without trying to get off the subject too much there is a valid point here. How come on some of the other forums I have stumbled across so many reloaders really bash LEE equipment as cheap junk when, even though I am a newbie, so far mine has worked well. I even loaded up some dummy rds last night(finally got my bullets) and the seating crimp die worked beautifully. Who cares if their scales are made of nylon or other non stressed items are not made to support a 2 ton truck to change a tire. At least can someone explain to me for my own curiosity, even in the future when I want to upgrade, what about upgrading to better LEE stuff like a LEE pro instead of buying a high priced Dillon or something? From the more experienced guys here, For real what am I missing in this debate cause I would like to know since I already invested in all LEE stuff. One side of me realizes that sometimes you get what you pay for. But the other side also realizes that alot of times the only thing spending more money gets you is bragging rights and a cocky ego. Right or wrong? Cory

[ 03-13-2003, 06:21: Message edited by: cmcalpin2002 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE LEE DIES AND PRESS AND I'VE USED THE SHIT OUT OF THEM. I WOULDN'T TRADE MY LEE SPEED DIES,I HAVE 2 SINGLE STATION PRESSES SIDE BY SIDE AND I LIKE THE SET UP. ONE OF MY PRESSES IS A BAIR PRESS I THINK IT'S KINDA OLD BUT IT'S STURDY AND I MAKE NICE RELOADS ON IT.I HAVE A LEE SCALE AND IT IS REALLY ACCURATE. YOU 'RE DOING ALRIGHT WITH YOUR CHOICE OF LEE EQUIPMENT. I DO SUGGEST YOU GET A LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL..........

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Sometimes folks are just snobs. I started out with Lee equipment, and still use quite a bit of it. The most accurate ammo I ever shot came out of a lee press. Some lee stuff is really inovative, and some of it really isn't up to snuff.

I like lee dies and will continue to use them, they are at least as accurate as RCBS dies, if not moreso. The fact that they come with a shellholder in most cases is a plus as well.

The lee perfect powder measure is suprsingly accurate, but I have never had a desire to use it after replacing it with a Redding 3BR. I still use my Lee powder scale, my loads are always within 50 fps of book velocities, so I figure my scale must be accurate. I would like something that measures more then 110 gr though.

The lee challenger press works as well as any other conventional O-press. It may not be as robust as some of the other presses, but I sized 1000's of rounds on it, and formed many 100's of wildcat cases. I did manage to break the linkage when sizing a massively oversized cast bullet with a lee push through sizer, but Lee also replaced the parts free of charge. I've since upgraded to a Forster co-ax, I load enough different cartridges that screwing each die in and out really gets to me.

Cadilacs may break down as much as buicks, but Toyota's and BMW's don't. The key is knowing the differece between low and high price junk, and quality gear. You don't have to pay top coin for good stuff, but you also won't always be happy with bottom dollar stuff.

Seems like most of the folks that bash Lee stuff have never used it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even if the price were the same, I'd choose Snap-on, cause quality is priceless. I don't care what A J Foyt says.

I love the Lee Collet neck sizing dies and if I still was using a single-stage press to load pistol bullets Lee dies would be fine. However, I use a Dillon progressive to load straight-walled pistol cases and Redding dies for rifle.

This is a fantastic time in the evolution of handloading. An overwhelming amount of choices for whatever budget or gun sport you're into. If Lee floats your boat keep using them. This is a free country afterall.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started with a Lee Aniversary Set. I reloaded 1000's of .44 mag rounds as well as .270 Win. and .300 Savage. I have broken the press toggles twice and Lee replaced them no-charge in a timely manner each time. My dad gave me an RCBS Rock Chunker, so the Lee is on eBay. I will never have anything negative to say about lee. I love the collet and factory crimp dies and will continue to use them regularly, I don't own any others. I had Snap-On tools, sold them and I now have Craftsman. Also a 13 year mechanic. How's your back? With the price difference, I can reload 10,000 rounds free!!!!
Good luck with your reloading. I hope you have as much fun as I have reloading accurate rounds and shooting them too!!!
Jay

Posts: 8 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
originally posted by Paul H:
quote:
Cadilacs may break down as much as buicks, but Toyota's and BMW's don't
I have a Toyota pickup and amen to that!!! [Big Grin]
And Pilot J so far my backs fine but my fingers have been going numb occasionally(probably carpeltunnel) and my knees ache after a long day over the fender.

I figured that not all people were like some of the ones I have come across but it is a free country and every one has the priveledge to use what they want. I appreciate honest truthful opinions or facts but I hate when someone comes on and says stuff like LEE products are junk bla bla bla. Everyone likes different things. Cory

posted Hide Post
I also drive a Toyota Tacoma. Great minds think alike!
It has become very appearent in the past year and a half the most of the people that throw out a negative comment without anything backing it up seem to liberal Democrates. I hope that doesn't pertain to this forum. It's just a pattern that has been set.

"Better to be thought of as a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Sometimes it may pertain to me too.....

Have a great day and SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Jay

Posts: 8 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How this topic change to Toyota trucks? I've got an '85 work truck with 353k miles on it! Only complaint is that it still has the factory seat. Your back will hurt just backing out the driveway! I started reloading a few months ago and bought the Lee Aniversery Kit. Good stuff. I want to upgrade to an electronic scale though. I've reloaded around 500 rounds so far (mostly 44mag and 454) with no complaints.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmcalpin2002:
Anyways, there seems to be a big debate in the community as I have read about LEE equipment vs others. Whats the beef? Right or wrong? Cory

Wrong.

While lee is my choice, I do find that lee items are less than they are advertised as. examples:

Collect dies: They need to be disasembled, polished and greased. The seating die that comes in the set is sloppy (to be kind).

The perfect powder measure: It jams when despensing H110 (ie W296). It has little feel and lacks the fun factor of a RCBS. It does throw the stick type rifle powders better, though.

Lee uses zinc casting in several places, But zinc die castings tend to have metal fatigue problems and break in time (just ask someone with a mid 80's toyota camry about the broken drivers door handle). Zinc items include the body for the primer tool and the clam shell on the O-frame press.

I have the little C-frame press. It's so light and quick, with access to both sides, it could be fantastic, except the ram is sloppy enough that the cases sometimes catch on the dies rather than entering.

The pro1000 is a great little press and very fast, dependable after supporting the back of the primer trough and learning where and how to lube it. Don't forget to drill a hole for a pin to retain the primers in the primer tray. Then you can fill the bottom of the primer slot in the ram to fix the occasional case of the ram caught on a stray primer so it won't come up. Or find out the lee disk powder measure doesn't throw as light a powder charges as lee claims (I find 4.5 grains and above to be consistant). And if you add a retainer for the powder measure lid, you can turn the measure upside down to change the disk.

Then the loadmaster is advertised as a 5-station press, but it uses station 2 for priming, which results in the powder drop in station 3. This makes haveing a powder check die, a seating die, and a separate crimp die impossible. Also keeping the case slider adjusted is a challenge. Mine had major problems as shipped.

As to lee pistol dies, excellent! And they are a must with the lee disk powder measure.

Powder scale: My only problem was realizeing the slide has a lock so it can be set to a given weight and not have the setting drift.

Lee stuff is a bargin and well worth the money. But does benefit from some hand finishing, and even then is a bit more limited than lee claims.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
<cobra>
posted
Been loading over 30 years and 95% of the equipment I use is Lee. Is the equipment that costs 3 times or more better? Probably, it better be, but I think that the average or even above average shooter couldn't tell the difference in the rounds that came out either.

posted Hide Post
Hello for all the Lee fans try this I have a Dillion trimmer put it on a Lee press after resizing 3006 shells I noticed when I started to reload that they were of different length (why) cause the lee press is not consistant to much slop. Now I use a RCBS press wow no slop. Load alot of 06 shells break a decapping pin on a lee die then you will like Rcbs that much more. just my thoughts on Lee

Posts: 1 | Location: NEKansas | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
I own a 88 yota truck AND a bunch of Lee gear. some of my best groups have been shot with rounds loaded with Lee dies and the "perfect powder measure" . I did have the linkage fail on the press that came in the Anniv. kit and upgraded to a Redding Boss. yota has 189K miles original clutch but needs a timing chain. I have yet to find a better way to trim cases than the lee drill chuck set up.

[ 03-14-2003, 06:51: Message edited by: Dave Jenkins ]

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love good debates. I learn alot. Thanks for all the replies. Cory

<BusPilot>
posted
For me, it's not that Lee won't get the job done--it will, and well. It's that I just enjoy using quality built tools. I've used my Lee Challenger to load hundreds of rounds of .44 Mag. You squeeze the trigger and it goes in the target. However, I am considering the new Redding T-7 press for more production and quality. The Lee dies work fine, but I plan to move to Redding. I don't drool over the Lee catalog; I do the Redding one. Won't make better ammo, but just is more enjoyable to use for me. That's part of the enjoyment of the sport for me--using fine equipment.

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
BusPilot ,

I have the new T-7 press, it is very nice. And to boot, I have a set of the Lee 454 carbide dies with their factory roll crimp die for my new SS Puma 92 in 454 Casull. The T-7 and Lee is all business that does it all for me.

[ 03-14-2003, 10:27: Message edited by: CK ]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Lee stuff almost as long as Lee has been making stuff. The simple things have always been good. The stuff with a lot of moving parts has not been so good.

What Lee does is to give you something that will do the job at a rock bottom price. I have hung onto one of the little C presses since they first came out. It gets used for the easy jobs and gets moved around since it weighs near nothing. It'll never replace the Rockchucker I use for heavy work but it doesn't have to.

I love the Lee line of bullet moulds and just wish they offered a bigger selection. A six cavity costs the same or less than a single of the name brands. A single cavity is about a third of the name brand price and I have had better luck getting bullets that shoot well from them.

The Lee bullet sizers are BETTER than the fancier ones and they will make you a custom size for $25.

I have been less than happy with the Lee shotgun presses, but without them I would not be loading shotgun at all. My volume simply is not enough for me to buy more expensive presses.

A fellow who shoots one or two pistol calibers and one or two rifle calibers might well want to buy better dies than Lee. I have a couple of sets of Bonanza dies I love. However, I shoot a LOT of different calibers and the much cheaper Lee dies let me do it on my very limited budget.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote