New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low Velocity Loads for 30-06
 Login/Join

<bearguide>
posted
I'm going Caribou hunting this fall and would like to reload some low velocity loads in 30-06 for Ptarmigan, so I don't need to carry a shotgun or 22 while hunting. I see some of the Whisper calibers use Unique for subsonic velocities. I would like to load 110gr. Hornady SP or 150gr. Sierra BT FMJ.
Anyone experiment with this before? I've heard a very light powder charge can be dangerous as well, so I'd like some info first. Can cast bullet data be applied to jacketed?

[This message has been edited by bearguide (edited 07-28-2001).]

<Don G>
posted
Jacketed bullets give higher pressure than cast bullets for the same weight and charge.

But if you are using reduced cast loads, you can use them as starting points.

There have been many problems reported using rifle powders in very reduced loads. Using pistol or shotgun powders gets away from that problem, but you must watch carefully for double charges in the almost empty cases.

I prefer to use Hodgdon Universal Clays instead of Unique, as it burns cleaner. I have used both and Unique works fine, however.

12 gr. Hodgdon Universal Clays and 110 HDY SP gets 1850 fps at 19,000 PSI, according to the model.

12 gr Unique gets 1865 fps with same bullet at 17,500 PSI.

I usually use WLR primers, as they seem to make velocity less dependent on powder position. Magnum primers wouldn't hurt, if you work up the load using them.

Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 07-28-2001).]

<bearguide>
posted
Thanks a bunch, Don! I'll give that a try. Is that the MAX load of Unique? Could a person go up/down a couple of grains so the point of impact at say 50 yds. would be close to the Caribou load (165 Bal. Tip)?

<Don G>
posted
bearguide,

Unique loads for the 110 gr. HDY SP can vary from 6gr @ 1000 fps to 26 gr @2750 fps. The 26 gr. load is 59000 PSI, which is SAAMI max. I would not start above 20 gr., but you can work up if you need to. If you drop below 10 gr. the velocity variation gets large and the trajectory not good to 100 yards. I'd try for a zero match between 10 and 16 grains.

I would certainly use a completely different bullet shape so I couldn't mix them up even in the dark!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 30-06 squirrel load is 26 gr of IMR 4227 and 110 gr bullets. It prints to almost exactly the same POI as my 150 gr deer loads. I think Magnum primers are a help as they have a better chance of lighting up all the loose powder in that big case. I use some kind of filler for the rest of the case. What filler? I have used everything. Paper sent through the shredder, tissue paper, corn meal, and now am using some of the new synthetic spherical stuff used for shotgun load buffers. I have not decided whether it is better than the other stuff or not. All seem to keep the powder toward the back of the case. The detonation we hear about is still a mystery to experts but it seems the powder gets spread around the case, a non magnum primer is set off lighting only part of the powder. The bullet jumps out past the pressure curve and gets stuck in the riflings. Then the pressure catches up to the stuck projectile and now we have an obstruction. KAABOOOOMMM!. Magnum primers, fast powder,and case filler seem to be the ticket to safety in reduced loads. Good ptarmigan hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 32 cal lead pistol bullets with 1.5 to 3 grs of red dot. 600 to 900 fps very little noise very accurate out to about 75 100 feet most of the time one hole groups. I use the bottom post of my plex cross hairs for a aiming point.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bearguide>
posted
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give it a try when I have some time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearguide, a friend put me onto a great quest a couple years back when he told me about working up a reduced load for ptarmigan while deer hunting. I was intrigued at the idea of having a low power load that hit point of aim about 25 yards with my rifle sighted for full power loads. I searched far and wide, and found an article from the American rifleman magazine from 1995. In it the author tells how to properly make low power loads for the 30-06, starting with subsonic loads all the way to 30-30 velocity. I have the article in my shop, e-mail me if you want the article date.
I loaded several cast bullet weights and power levels, and have posted on several bb's looking for help, like you. Most of the info I get is for loads around 2000 fps, a little fast for ptarmigan or squirrel. I loaded some 165 gr. cast bullets with light charges of green dot recently, and took them to the range only yesterday. I shot the first group and it was about 3 inches low, but I noticed that it was right where the duplex reticule started. I shot several more groups and found the faster the load, the worst the group and the farther from the point of aim.
I then loaded some of the lowest loads again and used the duplex post as my hold, the scope set on the lowest power. I was thrilled to see the rounds all hit point of hold at 25 yards. I don't have a chrono but according to my calculations they should run around 1200 fps.
I am hesitant to publish data online, if you want the exact details e-mail me and I will help you out. These loads hold great promise for me, as I will take a pocket of them hunting this fall, making short work of squirrels and such. Good luck and good hunting. Eterry

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The only word of caution is going too low on jacketed loads. There is the possibility of having the jacketed bullet stick in the barrel with a squib load, and they are tough to remove, and can't be removed in the field.

I much prefer a soft lead bullet, as it's easily pushed out if you stick it. I have some small game loads for my 35 whelen w/ cast bullets, they are quiter then a 22rf, and have the power of a 38 special.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote