New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Savage plinking loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A buddy owns a classic old Savage 99 lever gun in .300 Savage, and I would like to help him come up with some easy shooting fun loads. The gun is probably over 60 years old - I don't know the date of manufacture. He doesn't hunt and sure doesn't need jacketed bullets at 2400 fps - I'm thinking some light cast gas-checked bullets in the 125 gr range from Montana Bullet Works in front of Unique or some other fast powder (at about 1500+ fps) would be pleasant, and not beat up a nice old gun...

I understand one should full-length resize each time with this cartridge - I am real partial to the fine Hornady New Dimension dies, but am willing to buy whatever works best for low volume production (one or two hundred rounds per year, max).

Does anyone have a pet load they will share, and offer any reloading advice specific to this cartridge?

Thanks very much.

John Davies
Spokane WA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use red dot in my cast bullets check Lyman out they have lots of cast loads.

Posts: 19447 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use speer 100gr plinkers behind some surplus 4895 man they kill cans and rabbits DEAD, and are very accurate for what they are.

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey John, Those old M99s sure to carry well in the hand.

When cleaning the rifle, place a Spent Case (with the Primer still in it) in the action and close the Bolt. As you clean from the Muzzle(using a Muzzle Protector), the vast majority of the Trash will be flung into the Spent Case as the Bristles spring open.

There will still be a bit of Residue in the Chamber that needs cleaning out and Hoppe’s makes a short T-handle Nylon(flexible) Cleaning Rod just for getting in there. A patch wrapped around a 44Mag brush will wipe it right out while turning the T-handle.
---

I’ve always had better Case Life by using once-fired Military Cases to form into 300Sav. It does require a good bit of Trimming and a Lathe Style Trimmer really helps.
---

Nothing wrong with the Lead gas Checked Bullets. I agree with getting a Lyman Manual for your Loads.
---

I hear from another person on this Board that the relatively inexpensive 150gr “Berry Plated Bullets†are fairly accurate at reduced velocity. I’ve not tried any yet though.
---

Have used some 110gr RNs in 308Wins and 30-06s and they made fine Plinkers. We found some at a Gun Show a few years ago that were $4/100. Passed them by, talked about them with a buddy, and we both decided to try some. They jump a relatively long way to reach the Throat, but that didn’t seem to bother the accuracy. You should be able to get 2†or better accuracy with them.
---

Rub a small bit of grease into, not onto, a Patch and use it to lightly grease the back of the Action where the Bolt rises into place. If the Bolt pushes Grease up as you close it, then you have used too much.
---

I’ve found it better to Partial-Full Length Resize(P-FLR). You want them sized just enough that the Bolt will close with just a slight bit of resistance.
---

Be sure to check for Insipient Case Head Separation with the old Bent Paper Clip and a Chisel Edge. The Case Separations should not be a big problem at reduced Pressure, but you still need to check for it. When you feel the Groove – toss the Cases.

Great old rifles.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, it never ocurred to me to stick a spent case in the chamber before cleaning my Model 99. You just made my day. I cleaned my 99 yesterday and was sticking wads of paper towel in the magazine in the hopes of catching/stopping gunk and gook from getting in the action. Is there someplace on this forum for nominating someone for most useful information posted?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wink, Had a guy who's name I can't remember mention it on a Board that I've also forgotten the name of, or I'd give him credit.

DID NOT forget the Tip though. Wink

Of course it goes without saying to keep that specific Case in the Reloading Kit and don't Reload it again. I know you ALL know that, but that is just in case denton is looking. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
12.5 to 15 grains of Unique....

or 14 to 17.5 grains of Blue Dot...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice and humor.

John