New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 mag...180 grain XTP/HP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody got any advice on loading this bullet? I'm leaning towards H110, 2400, or Accurate #9. I would like to use one that's fairly versatile (can use it well for lots of other loads) and fairly high velocity b/c it'll be my loads that I carry hunting.

Problems I've run into is finding where the same bullet/powder combinations are listed by different companies (or lack thereof rather). For example...H110 is listed with the XTP as 13.1 grains max @ 1050 fps, while hodgdon lists the 180 grain Nosler partition as a max of 13.5 (start @ 13.0) and a top end velocity of 1396 fps. 2400 is listed with a max of 12.6 grains @ 1150 fps by hornady, but Alliant lists a no brand 180 grain JFP as max of 12.5 and velocity of 1300. AA#9 is listed @ 10.5 grains @ 1050 fps by Hornady, but then Accurate lists the same bullet with a max of 13.0 grains and velocity of 1437 fps.

So who do I trust (also who do I believe), and when can bullets be interchanged in the load data safely?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just finished working loads with that bullet for a 6" S&W. This is a very tight gun and shows pressure signs with below max charges. Other guns can use more powder, just work up carefully.
Anyway, 12.5 gr's of 296 shot several 1" groups at 50 yd's. I used the WW LP mag primer.
13 gr's started to get sticky and flatten primers. 13.5 made cases stick.
If you use H110, you can use a tiny bit more powder. I find around 1/2 gr difference in most calibers.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked to 16 gr's of 296 in a Freedom without pressure signs using the 180 XTP. This gun had an oversize bore of .3599 and larger chambers. Shot like crap.(With any bullet.) Cases shot from the Freedom would only enter the S&W chamber half way.
This shows the difference your gun can make for the loads that will work. Just start with a minimum listed load and work up carefully.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You may want to look at Lil' Gun. It will give you some great velocity and will work with several other bullet weights and pistol carts as well.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Catfish Hunter:
...So who do I trust (also who do I believe), and when can bullets be interchanged in the load data safely?
Hey Catfish Hunter, It is actually fairly simple - learn how to measure the "effects" of Pressure and trust ONLY yourself. Use the Load Manuals as simple Guidelines to get a starting point.

In Revolver cartridges you will have the best luck with "PRE" and you can find out how to measure it for yourself in this Link to CHE/PRE Measurements. It will serve you well throughout your entire Reloading career.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
I have played with a few different powders and the 180 XTP in my 4" model 66. 2400,296,LilGun,Bluedot...

LilGun gave me the highest velocity and the greatest recoil. 2400,296 and Bluedot all gave pretty close to the same velocity 1100-1200 fps, but the bluedot loads were MUCH easier to shoot and were very accurate. I have gone to bluedot for all my 180 loads, 9.4 grs under either my hard cast 180's or the 180 XTP. In all my 357's, 4 of them, this has been a very accurate load.

3-7-77

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried 9.5 gr's of Blue dot in this S&W with the 158 gr XTP. Primers were really flat and the noise was something else. They shot nice and recoil was pleasant. I was going to go to 9 gr's and work up but my friend came over to get the gun. He was so happy when he shot the 180 gr XTP, 296 loads into an inch at 50 yd's, he didn't care about anything else.
Remember guys, I don't shoot any gun except a .22 at less then 50 yd's. My friend also shot three shots into 2" at 100 yd's before he left. How much better can you get with a 6" barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to buy some Lil'gun to play with. I hear good things about it. What I need to know is how good are 50 yd groups with it.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter,

It all depends on the firearm at hand. My S+W 6" does fairly well with Lil' Gun and Blue dot alike. The lil' gun loads shoot faster and recoil more. The Lil' Gun was my powder of choice when I was shooting mostly Win 158grn SJHPs since switching to 158 Sierras I' found a load with BD and stuck with it. However I intend on going back to Lil' gun before next deer season for the added velocity.

The thing I find strange about Lil' Gun is the advertised pressure figures. I'm sort of skeptical I guess. You would think if it shoots faster and recoils more than similar burning powders it would have to have more pressure than the manuals suggest. Maybe Big H is sprinkling alittle pixy dust in it Big Grin

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pixy dust it might be. Did you read about the new powder they use in the new .308 Marlin?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you read about the new powder they use in the new .308 Marlin?

No, I haven't read about it yet. I have heard about the new cartridge and saw the advertisement in one of the gun rags not too long ago. Interesting but, I can't say there was a need for such and it may fold. Was surprizing velocity though...

The last new powder I've looked at was the new 4007 from IMR. Seems like it may be a heck of a powder for the 06 and some of the varmint carts. I intend to give it a try when some of the local shops start carrying it.

Have a Good One

Reloader