THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Bulding new rifle in .22-250 ,some advice please

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bulding new rifle in .22-250 ,some advice please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hallo to all

I am busy building a .22-250 on a Mauser 98 action , I got hold of a Wilson medium profile barrel ( Ruger barrel ) or that is what I have been told by the smith. Now come your suggestions please . What type of stock size etc should I go for , ( I am still someone for wood please be easy on me ) . Also anything will help regarding accurizing my rifle with stuff I can do myself , I like to play around with things.
I plan to bed the Tang area , Recoil Lug & the first inch or so after the chamber & have the barrel freefloating . Any thoughts on this or is there a better way of doing it

Thanks
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy, Rudie.

Be careful with the tang area bedding.

I once asked my gunsmith if I can bed the tang, he said it's okay to bed the horizontal surface that is flat under the tang, but never let any bedding compound get to/remain in the area surrounding the tang. The tang has a tapered contour, if the recoil transfer to the wood behind the tang through hard bedding compound, the tang sort of jab into stock wood and will split the wood in two. I was planning to bed my gun like that until I asked, I learned something that day, but you may have already known.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek

I never knew that, thanks for the advice I will keep it in mind when I bed the action.

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote