New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two Rem 700's in 22-250. I bought a used bdl heavy barrel several years ago. It shot factory ammo great IMO. I loaded some when I first started loading for rifle. I have been reloading for +-30yrs. Never shot my loads. Bought a 700 stainless fluted. Have reloaded and shot it for 5+ years. Got the bdl out to shoot a while back. Chambered a round and had a hard time locking the bolt down on my loads only. Factorys chamber fine. Bolt seemed to scrape the cart. head on my loads. Didn't want to shoot them, tore them all apart. Resized, reprepped, set die down farther. Carts. only shot once in bdl. Still having problem. Resized carts from bdl don't fit well or at all in VSF. No problems loading and shooting VSF with its carts. Is my problem with my die setting? Sorry so long, probably confused you, I almost did me. I would like to shoot this gun, it seemed to shoot good with fact. loads. Also not sure if I can adjust my die down any farther. Do I have a tight chamber, need new die. I know nothing about past owner. Any help appreciated.

Posts: 47 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 15 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your post is kinda confusing. Do your reloads fit and fire in one of your rifles?
Sounds like one of your rifles has a tighter chamber than the other. Not uncommon at all. Unless you want to buy a second set of dies and have one set for each rifle, just set up the dies to resize for the tighter chamber and call it happy.
Using the rifle with the tight fit, lube a case, run the ram of your press all the way up and screw the resizing die in until it touches the shell holder. Lock it into place. Resize the case. Does it fit into the rifle with only the slightest pressure? If not, retract the ram, unlock the die and screw it IN another quarter turn and lock it down. Resize the case and try the fit. Keep repeating until the case will chamber in both rifles.
Then prime, charge, seat a bullet and fire.
If you still have chambering problems but the empty cases chamber readidly, you have issues with case length or cartridge length and need to check if your cases are within specs or your bullets are not protruding into the lands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you full length or neck sizing?Usually neck sized won`t fit any other rifle.

Only other thing...check bolt face.If too dirty it will cause a rifle not to chamber easily.A friend bought a used M77 Ruger 22/250 that wouldn`t chamber,even on my full length sized cases.I imagine gas blowby from "warm" loads fouled it just enough to create negative headspace....anyway it was visibly dirty.Cleaned the bolt face well(and the bore) and it chambered and shot just fine.

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes chambers are different between two rifles may want to get a small base sizer.
http://www.huntingtons.com/dies_smallbase.html

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem solved-maybe. I found I had neck size die in my Dillon. Forgot I changed from full years ago when I got the SFV. So adjusting it down didn't do much. I put in the full length die and it was closing a lot better. I decided to turn it down just a little more and STUCK CASE! Have to wait till first of week to solve that one and then proceed. I think it will be resolved soon. Getting old, maybe should change to checkers. Thanks for your help, You were on track.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After Thought. Why would the cases that were only fired in that gun not neck size and then fit in that gun?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get some "Cerrosafe" and do a chamber cast of both rifle's chambers. Then take accurate measurements of the cast. This way you will see the and measure the differences and know why one rifle is troublesome in compared to the other.
By them selves both rifle are ok only when you compare with hand loads tuned for one rifle they work well in.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote