Find
Notify
Tools

An opinion needed on tumbling media
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jds
posted
I'm above my head on this one and felt that the wisdom of experience on this board needed to be consulted.

A friend and I ventured into reloading for personal use and he came up with some bags of Black Diamond Slag Abrasive for using in our vibrating case cleaner. I wasn't convinced but we tried some on about a thousand 9mm cases. It really cleans them, but leaves a brushed brass effect, which means to me that the media may be too abrasive. To see the stuff I'm talking about, click HERE.

Opinions are appreciated and thanks in advance.

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too abrasive is my thoughts.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I also don't like the finish on the brass when it's been to harshly polished. I just use the standard corn cob media.

I have thought about maybe mixing in some walnut with the corn cob, but no current need. I also got a bunch for free a while back, so I'm set.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corn cob or walnut. Nothing more abrasive. There is a new stainless steel media that may have possibilities.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
black beauty is about the most abrasive media for sandblasting. definatly to abbrasive for tumbling. walnut will clean the brass well and corn cob with a dab of polish will make it shine.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information . . . my bud and I continuously look for opportunities to prove the other wrong so this is excellent!!

I appreciate the responses.

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Michalski:
Corn cob or walnut. Nothing more abrasive. There is a new stainless steel media that may have possibilities.

with a thumlers tumbler model B(rock polisher) the SS media is THE best I have seen!! Cleans the brass inside and out, including the primer pockets, and really makes the brass shine brighter than new.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you have a vibratory tumbler just get a bag of lizard bedding at the pet store.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The Tumlers Tumbler is pretty aggressive. I wonder what SS tumbling shot does to brass wall thickness over time? Just a question, I just wonder.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use walnut. What the heck is lizard bedding?

Posts: 16145 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Crushed walnut hulls

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
+1 on lizard litter

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote