THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Tumbler Crushed Walnuts vs. Pet Store Crushed Walnuts

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tumbler Crushed Walnuts vs. Pet Store Crushed Walnuts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The old crushed walnut media finally went south on me,and needed to be changed.I have enough on hand to refill the tumbler.

On my way home from work I decided to stop at the pet store and pick up a bag of lizard bedding,-crushed walnuts-,and do a comparison between the two medias.

The results weren't even close.Tumbler media cases,after 2 hrs., were reasonably clean and shiny.

The pet store stuff was working,but at a much slower rate. Very much slower rate.

Should I sweeten the pet store media with something to give it a little more cleaning power,if so what do I use?

In the past I have seen posts from some of you that pet store crushed walnuts work great.Did you sweeten it or just use as is out of the bag?

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Use a polishing compound to speed things up. I like turtle wax or nu-finish. I have used comercial tumbeler additive in the past but found that it worked only slightly better than the car wax.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
You will notice that media sold for cleaning reloading brass is called "treated media". That means that it has had some sort of polishing abrasive added to it. (Fluffy and Fido don't need to have a polishing compound in their litter box) Find some polishing compound that contains no ammonia and mix some in with the crushed walnut hulls. For my money Flitz or Nu-Finish car polish work well. Make sure that you run the tumbler for a while to thoroughly mix the polish with the media before adding the brass to prevent clumping on the cases.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you compare commercial walnut shells for tumbling against the pet store stuff, the pet store stuff is like mush in comparison and is dusty as hell to boot. It also soaks up a lot mor epolishing media (grit) than the commerial stuff. Wiping the dust off the pet store stuff after tumbling is also a royal PITA.
Using car polish may not be such a good idea s most, if not all contain ammonia which will attack the copper portion of your brass. Brasso is also bad. I'm not sure about Flitz. Not gonna be fun if one of your cases was weakened by the ammonia in your polish and the shell lets go upon firing.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 50lb bag of the commercial stuff 10 or 12 years ago and it was less than $20, way cheaper than the pet store stuff. I've got over a half bag left. And as Paul said, it works way more better.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I pesonaly prefer corn cob over walnut.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the past I have seen posts from some of you that pet store crushed walnuts work great. Did you sweeten it or just use as is out of the bag?

I use the pet store stuff plain, right out of the bag. I usually run the tumbler an hour. They come out really shiny but a little dusty, like you mention. Good way to get that dust off is to roll the cases in a slightly damp towel. If you have a lot of them-- as in .223Rems-- you might want to pull the four corners together making a bag out of the towel and just bounce and roll and fling 'em around in there. Gets the dust right off...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
FWIW; I have not checked out the MSDS for Flitz but I know that Nu-Finish markets their car polish as having no ammonia or alkalies and will not attack brass or copper.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I bought a big bag of Grit-O-Cob 20 years ago. Still working on that same bag!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walnut hulls are used in turbine engine cleaning and as a blasting media. They come in 40 pound bags by the pallet anywhere you can buy sand blasting media.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tumble your brass in hot water and dish washing detergent. Rinse with water. Air dry or oven dry under 170F. No hull dust to get in your sizing die. thumb

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use pet store walnut hulls because it works fine and is much cheaper than the stuff from the gun shop.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the 25-lb box of walnut tumbling media sold at Harbor Freight and Tool. Sometimes you can catch it on sale at a price that will beat even the pet store stuff. It comes in two different "grinds" and I'm not sure which is preferable for case cleaning, but the box I have does fine and looks like it will outlast me.

BTW -- I avoid tubling media treated with jeweler's rouge like the plauge. You can't get that junk off of anything it touches and imagine what the INSIDES of your cases look like! Jeweler's rouge mixed with IMR 4895 can't be good for either ballistic performance or for your bore.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeweler's rouge and hull dust drove me to find a "better way". No Rouge thumbdown

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walnut hulls and mineral spirits works just fine.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longshot:
Walnut hulls and mineral spirits works just fine.
Longshot

I'm curious about the mineral spirits. Tell me more, please.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm curious about the mineral spirits. Tell me more, please.

I bought a bottle of it at Walmart for mixin' up some Ed's Red bore cleaner. The stuff is pretty cheap, like four bucks a quart. Haven't made the Red, yet. I'd like to know more about using it in tumblers, too. Anybody know if it would attack the plastic bowl? I think the stuff is polyethylene...

:
:
:

I'm cleaning some brass right now. I poured maybe one ounce of minerals spirits in for a three-quarter full tumbler. It turned the crushed walnuts from a dusty beige to a dark walnut color. I did not put on the clear polystyrene top, fearing it might be attacked by the vapors. I'm doing the tumbling outside. Only had 'em in for about ten minutes. I usually tumble for an hour. We'll see how they look then..

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toss in a Bounce dryer sheet to keep the dust down. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote