THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which VV N powder is most suitable for 30-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am currently reloading .30-06 180 gr. Nosler Partiton with 54 gr. VV N160 and I am not too impressed by my results at the range; 5 shots not under 1 MOA. Had slightly better results with 180 gr. Accubonds.
Procedures as usual: weighing cases, charges, bullets, varrying weight charges and seating depth makes little difference.

Is N160 a little too slow and would N150 be a better choice?

Powder brands available here are only the VV range and Accurate Arms.

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From a burn rate point of view, N160 is a very sensible powder for the .30-06/180 grs combination.

N560 might give you more speed, but I don't know if you are happy to go with a double based powder? N560 is rumoured to give more muzzle flash - in addition to other potential drawbacks of being double based.

N150 is a candidate, though probably not for the highest velocities. The VV manual typically lists velocities for the .30-06/180 grs combinbation about 100 fps higher with N160 compared to N150.

Just a personal comment, others may disagree. It is common I don't find best accuracy with Nosler Partitions. Accuracy wise, Nosler AccuBonds and Barnes TSX have given me better results in more guns.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'm very pleased with N 160 in my .30-06.

165 GK / N 160 / 60.5 groups 5 < .6 MOA
180 Vulkan/Speer/Sierra SP & RN / 160 / 56.5 groups 5 in .5 to .9 MOA.

Since you already recherched load variation (BTW, your 54.0 load is on the low side, IMO), I would advise reviewing loading techniques and rifle potential. Is the latter accurate with other loads ?

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reindeer,

André & I are in 100% agreement on VVN-160 & the .30/06 Sprg. and appears we are also both in agreement your load is a tad on the light side, too.

IMO you can't go wrong with this powder in the .30/06 Sprg. with 165 gr. bullets.

I use 60.0 grs. with either 165 gr. Sierra HPBT's or SPBT's, 168 gr. CT Ballistic Silvertips and 165 gr. Nosler Partitions or Ballistic Tips. I do tweak each bullet a touch differently for optimum OAL. Those six bullets in that cartridge will make photocopies of Andre's targets all day long with my Blaser R93 Attaché barrel.

I tried VVN-560 also but from MPOV it didn't deliver anything other than; like Mike has suggested, increased muzzle blast & flash in my '06. It is a much better powder for it's intended purposes; larger cases. I use it in 7mm Rem. Mag., 300 Win. Mag., 300 Weatherby, 300 RUM and .243 Winchester. Tried it in the 7x57R Blaser K95 Stutzen and while accuracy was fantastic the muzzle blast & flash at twilight just has to be witnessed to be appreciated outa 50cm barrel!

The first time I purchased VV Powder; I asked for a jug of VVN-160; having already done my homework - primarily I wanted it for the .30/06 Sprg. The Sales Clerk asked and I told him. He suggested VVN-150. When I asked why he said, "you'll not have to use so much." Typically frugal German.

Now VVN-150 & the 8x57IS or IRS is another Kettle of Fish altogether.

If you're not sold on VV powders; although my experience has been otherwise; try AA-4350; excelent powder at a good price. It also works very well in the '06 Sprg. with 180 gr. bullets, especially 180 gr. Hornady RN's.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are many variables that can influence accuracy. In my experience, powder is pretty far down the list of those variables, and there's no reason that VV N-160 should not do well in your '06. I would suggest looking at other areas first.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
There are many variables that can influence accuracy. In my experience, powder is pretty far down the list of those variables,

Agree!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are many variables that can influence accuracy. In my experience, powder is pretty far down the list of those variables, and there's no reason that VV N-160 should not do well in your '06. I would suggest looking at other areas first.

homer

Good one! I was sorta assuming that everything else being equal - attention to detail regarding the rifle, ancilliary equipment and accuracy with factory ammo had already been established!

If not, selecting another powder or bullet won't do much good.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote