Find
Notify
Tools

Who Loads .25-35 WCF?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Who loads .25-35 WCF and do you hunt with it? I just saw where Hornady is loading factory ammo again.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt with it, but I do use the dies as part of the forming process of turning 30-30 brass into 22/30-30. a little over 35 years ago I met a fellow while hunting in western Oregon who had an old Winchester in 25-35. He had just killed a 3 point (western count) whitetail buck with it. About 150 yards, one shot. buck was bedded and never got up.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't have one but I have dies that I use in forming 30-30 brass into 22 Sav HP for my Brno Comb gun. An elderly gent who lives a short distance away gets a box loaded about every 4 or 5 yrs. He takes a couple shots before deer season and usually one shot in season. He is quite happy with those 117 gr Hornady's and a bit of 3031.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Yesterday I saw a beautiful Drilling, 16 x 16 x .22 Savage Hi-Power or maybe Imp. Seems to be a slang name for it. Actually thought it was a little under priced but what do I know.

Also saw a combination gun in 16 over 25-35 WCF. Appeared German made but I couldn't find a maker name on it. Had a nice set of claw mounts and a German 3 post scope. Most amazing thing was how light it was. Didn't weigh it but I'd guess about 5#. Beautiful condition and also seemed priced well. Thought maybe I should add it to my rack. Still thinking.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently came by a Model 94 .25-35 and am set up to load for it (have dies, brass, and bullets), but I actually haven't gotten around to it yet. It seems like it took forever for Hornady to get some of the 117 gr RN's back on the market, which are about the only game bullet suitable for the .25-35.

But I have had a .25 Remington (Model 14) for years and have loaded for it. It's clever tubular magazine offsets the bullet tips, so spitzers can be used in it. It belonged to my late father-in-law and he took a number of deer with it. My son now has it and I've always intended for one of us to take it out for a deer, but again, just haven't gotten around to it.

But according to my late father-in-law, who in turn got the gun from his father-in-law, the .25 Remington took deer down as quickly and easily as any other rifle in camp.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I have my great granddad's 1894 Saddle ring carbine made in 1906. I load for it and shoot Hdy 117gr RN.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'd bet Atkinson has a load for that cartridge

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting and reloading for my FIL's old Mod 94 for many years now. He told me his dad gave it to him for his 1st deer rifle, prob around 1950. I finally found a way to trade him out of it around 1990. I've taken mule deer, sika deer, and antelope with it and it's original iron sights. A wonderful rifle, with pedigree, that I won't part with.
Favorite load is Hdy 117gr RN, w/ IMR3031 in whatever kind of brass I have, mostly Rem and WW.I use RCBS dies and have never had any particular issues with them. I do recommend trimming brass to obtain a uniform crimp on the bullet. The crimp is needed in the tube magazine and uniformity is critical to accuracy. Speer makes a 75gr FN that I've shot some but was much happier with the Hdy bullet. (The Speer FN is good in my 25-20.)
My #1 recommendation - take it out and shoot it. You'll like it.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
From what I am seeing everywhere is that the 117 grain bullet is the way to go. I'm going to take another trip out to the shop in a week or so and see if I can make him an offer he'll accept.

Dave