THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light loads for the 30-06, where to begin...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted
I am a newbie at reloading, and I would like to create some light loads using IMR 4350 powder. I have the Speer #11 reloading manual, and it has reduced loads for a number of their bullets with a different powder. Can I safely cut down the recommended charge for my 150 gr. Seirra bullets in half? Also, since these cases are not straight wall cases will I have ignition problems?

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friend, if you are after light loads in the ole '06 you have the wrong powder. 4350 is GREAT in the '06 but only for full pwder loads. 4350 is NOT a powder that is suitable for downloading. Their have even be some possible detonations with people downloading the very slow powders.

My suggestion is for you to pick up a can of Hodgdon 4895. 4895 can be downloaded very easily and it will still give stellar accuracy. Hodgdon even states that H-4895 can be downloaded to as much as 60% of their listed max load and still be safe. It can be used for this purpose in nearly any bottleneck cartridge.

I know what its like to try and keep the number of powders you have on hand down, but in this case to be safe you really do need another powder.

Best of luck.
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
In the last several months we've gone thru a lot of light load information using Blue Dot powder. The member you should contact goes by the handle Sea Fire. Perhaps if you send him a PM he can help you . It's really great stuff. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to the members cautioning you against trying dramatically reduced loads with 4350. Light loads can only be assembled with faster burning powders. Take a look here for some tested data using H-4895 powder. Otherwise, the Speer manual has even milder loads listed with some even faster powders. The H-4895 powder is nice to use because you can also load it up pretty well, especially with lighter bullets, 150 gr and under.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input. It is a good thing that I asked.

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote