Notify
Tools

Re: 45-70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted
Quote:

...and maybe answer my question about the case life.

I've got Remington .45-70s that I've been handloading (mostly with 1800 FPS 400 grain bullets) since 1973. No idea how many times they've been loaded, but it's a bunch. Ruined one the other day by crumpling it while seating an oversized cast bullet with the mouth insufficiently flared, and the lead alloy caught the mouth of the case. Hated that. I think I've gotten my money out of that brass, though.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Hi! I like to reach +2100 fps with 400 grains bullets and 2200 fps with 350 grains bullet in this rifle and I think 45-70 is good for that when I�m looking at load data from Accurate powder for the caliber 450 Marlin and 45-70. I�m fraid about the case life if I load 45-70 that high, but I don�t know, maybe there is no problem with that at all.

Now, I wonder if anyone here would like to help me to choose on this two calibers, and maybe answer my question about the case life. I would be greatful if anyone had load data for the caliber 45-70 too.

Best regards
Karl-Erik kalle.kes@telia.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karl, you CAN reach those velocities with the .45/70 case in a No. 1, but it requires compressed loads. The longer brass of the .45/90 or .45/100 will definitely make finding a load that gives you the desired results a lot easier, and you could conceivably use a slower powder. I have often thought about lengthening the chamber of my .45/70 for this reason, but haven't done so yet. I use Alliant RE 7 with the Barnes Original 400-grain semi-spitzer and get 2270 FPS @ 10 feet from the muzzle, and almost 2400 FPS with the cast lead Lyman .457122HP (Gould) bullet, which comes from my mould at 342 grains. I use the same charge of RE 7 with this bullet as I do with the 400 grainer. I use an inverted gascheck over the powder with the cast bullet, since it is a plain-base bullet and I am loading it pretty hot.

After firing with these loads, the cases very definitely look stressed, but I have not reloaded and fired any cases enough times to learn how long they will last. The recoil from this ammo is too severe for me to use this stuff for target practice! A few rounds for zeroing, then one or two when hunting is more than plenty! I have not experienced any loosening of primer pockets, however.

If you are doing a custom rebareling, you might consider building your .45/70 a little heavier than the standard Ruger No. 1 .45/70 as it comes from the factory!! If you want I'll give you my RE 7 powder charge, but if you use it, it must be approached from at least 10% below, because powders can vary a considerable degree from lot to lot, and I hear that this is especially true of the Alliant RE series!!!

Good luck!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don�t need another caliber 45, but I bought this rifle Ruger no1 some years ago and a caliber 45 barrel too, so now I have to do something about it. I really like the ruger no 1 rifle. My plan was to get something in caliber 45 with rim. Before I rechambered my sharps to caliber 45-110 instead of 45-100, so therfore I have 200 brass in caliber 45-100 now.That�s the reason why I ask about that caliber in this Ruger No 1.

In fact I don�t need anything more than one rifle for hunt and it would be 458 WM or 458 Lott in my choice.

Posts: 103 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote