Notify
Tools

Looking for help with 30-06 and 130 gr hornaday
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
Does anyone shoot 130 gr bullets out of the 30.06

I recently aquired a box of 130 Gr Hornaday soft points from my father. He had some loaded but couldnt remember the specs. They seemed to shoot pretty good and I would like to explore the possibilities of this bullet.
I have done a little looking and not found much so i thought I would throw it out here for suggestions.

If I can make them work i believe this would make a great Deer Round?????
and I dont like hot loads and never load to MAX.

Thanks for any advise/input

..."its not a collection if you only have one"....

Posts: 102 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady manual lists uses and velocity ranges for all their bullets. My gut reaction is that that bullet will be too soft for .30-06 velocities. I will try to remember to look it up in the manual tonight.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mrbofus I loaded some 130 gr Hornady's in the 30-30 and the 308. Filled some doe tags with them. They worked quite well in the 30-30 (in a Sav 99 with rotary mag). My brother used the ones loade in the 308. The bullet literally exploded on the shoulder of a doe. Second shot was behind the front leg and made it into the lungs. The first shot on the shoulder did not make it into the heart/lung cavity. If you want to shoot deer with 130 gr 30 cal bullets use a Barnes TSX.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
mrbofus I loaded some 130 gr Hornady's in the 30-30 and the 308. Filled some doe tags with them. They worked quite well in the 30-30 (in a Sav 99 with rotary mag). My brother used the ones loade in the 308. The bullet literally exploded on the shoulder of a doe. Second shot was behind the front leg and made it into the lungs. The first shot on the shoulder did not make it into the heart/lung cavity. If you want to shoot deer with 130 gr 30 cal bullets use a Barnes TSX.

Maybe these 130's are not for the 30-06?
Thanks for the advise.
Why would the bullet explode like that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because it's a soft bullet used at high velocity.

The Hornady manual lists it for varmints and medium game at muzzle velocities of 2500-3700 fps. But I still don't think I'd use it for deer.

But here are the only 4 reviews of this bullet on MidwayUSA's site:

quote:
Michael Thomas of Orrum, NC
5.00 stars
Date Posted: 12/13/2002
I currently load this bullet for my 30.06 using 52grns of IMR 4064. This bullet is very accurate and i have taken many deer with it. I have yet to lose a deer i've shot with this bullet and 90% of the kills the deer never left where they were standing. Most shots are complete pass throughs with a couple that weren't but they went through shoulder bone and lodged in the skin on the opposite side and were still completely together. I would highly recommend this bullet to anyone.

charlie p of lodi, wi
5.00 stars
Date Posted: 11/1/2011
I just came back from range. Used 130s behind IMR 4064 at 75 yrs. nearly all in same hole from my 700 adl Remington. This load is starting load and has very low recoil I recommend these bullets!!Thank you MidwayUSA!

Dan B of Richmond, VA
4.00 stars
Date Posted: 8/9/2010
Use in a 308 model 70 with a 1:12 twist and a fixed 4X scope. Able to put 3 shots within an inch at 150 yards from a rest. Using IMR 3031, I get about 3100 fps and a very small variance in velocity.

Jim Fisher of New Milford, CT
3.00 stars
Date Posted: 9/15/2011
Loaded in my so-called "unsafe" low-number '03 Springfield. H-4895 gives me 3.5", 9-shot groups. (Outstanding group shot at 100 yards.!) Hope to use this load in my M1 Garands for a low-recoil target load.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
quote:

Because it's a soft bullet used at high velocity.

The Hornady manual lists it for varmints and medium game at muzzle velocities of 2500-3700 fps. But I still don't think I'd use it for deer.

LWD

LWD,
Thank you for your time,
So this bullet, as snowman stated would be better in a 308 - 30-30?
I guess I will either buy a new rifle to mate with these bullets ( Haha) or load them up for papaer and varmits.

Any suggestions on a light weight 120-130 Hunting bullet suitable for the 30.06?
I see snowman suggesteded the Barnes, any thing else?
(why do I want a 130 gr 30.06 bullet? i dunno no)(( cuz i get bored easy with the old stand by's 165s'))

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
The 125 grain Nosler ballistic tip can work for broadside shots.

The Barnes 130gr TSX is a good bullet I'm sure but I've never used it and so can't comment on that.

I hear the GS custom 130 grain bullet is good too but again, no experience.

I loaded up some sierra 125 grain SP in my 30.06 and at 3250 fps they are far too explosive for deer, quite good on varmints though! Big Grin

I tried them loaded down to 2900 fps but found that they weren't actually that much less explosive at that velocity.

I don't know if it's avaliable as a component to reloaders but the 123 grain Sako gamehead bullet in the 308 gets good press from a number of Scottish guys that I am contact with. They shoot reds up to 100-150 kilos and so the bullet must be fairly stout.

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatab...gesDatatable2011.pdf

I can confirm from first hand experience that they work on well on Fallow deer! hilbily

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
LWD,
Thank you for your time,
I guess I will either buy a new rifle to mate with these bullets ( Haha) or load them up for papaer and varmits.

Any suggestions on a light weight 120-130 Hunting bullet suitable for the 30.06?
(why do I want a 130 gr 30.06 bullet? i dunno no)(( cuz i get bored easy with the old stand by's 165s'))

You're welcome. But that's what makes this board as opposed to almost all others—members willing to share their experience with others without any of the BS found most other boards.

For a 130 grain .308 hunting bullet for use in the .30-06, you're really limited just by the small number of bullets, and then most will limit the shot you can take as Ghubert noted. Barnes or GS Custom will be the best options in terms of both knowing the bullet will stay together and give you the most shot options.

In my experience, the 168 TSX will do anything I need it to do in my '06. It opens quick, penetrates deep, and messes stuff up!

LWD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
quote:
LWD,
Thank you for your time,

You're welcome. But that's what makes this board as opposed to almost all others—members willing to share their experience with others without any of the BS found most other boards.

For a 130 grain .308 hunting bullet for use in the .30-06, you're really limited just by the small number of bullets, and then most will limit the shot you can take as Ghubert noted. Barnes or GS Custom will be the best options in terms of both knowing the bullet will stay together and give you the most shot options.

In my experience, the 168 TSX will do anything I need it to do in my '06. It opens quick, penetrates deep, and messes stuff up!

LWD

I guess I need to stick with the 165-180's out of the "ole .06.

The 130's shoot preety good so maybe I will use them on 'chucks and other furry varmin.

I do have other calibers that shoot lighter weight bullets so no real need to go that route with the .06.

Thanks again to all for the input.
Cheers,
Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
We are pretty happy with the way a GSC 130gr HV works in the 308Win.

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/galfrancogiulietti.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bofus.

I have a good friend that shoots everything with 130gr Hornady SP's at moderate velocities out of his -06. That include a 6pt bull elk he took a few years back. It woudn't be my choice, but I'm younger and it a bit better shape, and he hunts at shorter ranges.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote