New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best powder choice 12 ga 7/8 & 1 oz. loads
 Login/Join

<Mike M>
posted
What would be your choice of powder for use in 7/8 and 1 oz. 12 ga. target loads? (Win AA & Rem. STS hulls.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like useing Red Dot.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around these parts 700X is popular and the most economical.

I like 800X as the operating pressures are substantially lower.

cheers, Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Hodgdon Clays for those loads - very clean burning.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Trigger on the use of Hodgdon Clays -- it's the cleanest burning. But nowadays when I can get it I use Hodgdon Titewad because it works out to being the least expensive per load.

Unless cost is not a factor for you, I'd use the powder that I could get at the least cost per load.

I've used them all for 12 ga. target loads -- Red Dot, Green Dot, 700X, PB, Winchester Super Target, Hodgdon Clays, Hodgdon Titewad, and probably some others I've forgotten. I can't tell any differences in the quality of the loads I produce from them, although some are cleaner burning than others, and some are finer grained and others are coarser. (Red Dot is the coarsest grained -- it takes up more space in the case for a given charge weight -- and also the dirtiest burning. But it is completely reliable and has probably been used in more 12 ga. target loads than any other powder.)

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 05-09-2002).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use NM-04 . It is a military surplus type powder that I get from G.I Brass. It loads with the same data as PB , is very economical and it burns fairly clean.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote