THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Short barelled .308 or 30-06 - need help/ advice!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short barelled .308 or 30-06 - need help/ advice!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jonher
posted
Hi all,

I need some experienced opinions as my head is mashed from reading reloading books and calculating in QuickLoad. I'm soon to buy a new rifle with a 50 or 55cm barrel and need some advice on whether .308 or 30-06 will best meet my needs.

I'm looking to push a 185 grain at 750m/s and the rifle will have a moderator fitted. I reload so home rolling is not a problem.

Any advice on which caliber would be the best option, pro's and con's?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

My Hunting Blog:
http://jonathan81.blogspot.com/

Posts: 147 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 11 November 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well an online calculator shows 750 m/s to be 2460 fps. A quick look shows that a 190 grain Match King will easily surpass that in a 308 so no need to go to a 30-06 unless ammo is easier to find in a pinch.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggest the 55mm length barrel with 1- 11 inch twist in .308W cartridge.

The '06 will require a larger powder charge to drive that bullet at 750m/s. That will be more gas volume at higher velocity the moderator has to tame. A 22" barrel was standard for the Sionics suppressor in .308W of which I have considerable experience along with other newer suppresors. They work well with the .308W and that length barrel.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gibson:

The '06 will require a larger powder charge to drive that bullet at 750m/s. That will be more gas volume at higher velocity the moderator has to tame. A 22" barrel was standard for the Sionics suppressor in .308W of which I have considerable experience along with other newer suppresors. They work well with the .308W and that length barrel.

Larry Gibson

Larry, not getting on your case (pardon the pun), just having saome fun with you...but you recommended a 55 m/m barrel length. I'm certain you meant a barrel 55 CM long. Otherwise, without a tax stamp here in the states a guy would be looking at hard time if BATFE is having a bad hair day yankees

BTW, 11" twist is a good recommendation for .308s.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jonher
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies!

I went to have a talk to the guy in my local gun store yesterday and ended up ordering a gun and new scope Big Grin after some discussions decided that I would go for the 30-06 as I might want to shoot bigger bullets in the future.

I have ordered a Sauer 202 Classic XT with a 56cm fluted barrel and to go on top a Zeiss Varipoint 2.5-10x50 in EAW pivot mounts. Going to have a play with the gun first to get a feel for the balance and the recoil, then I will decide if I really need a moderator.

Thanks again for the replies!

Jonathan

My Hunting Blog:
http://jonathan81.blogspot.com/

Posts: 147 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 11 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A 56cm or 22" barrel should work fine with a 30-06.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2 Good choice! claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gibson:

Larry Gibson

Larry, not getting on your case (pardon the pun), just having saome fun with you...but you recommended a 55 m/m barrel length. I'm certain you meant a barrel 55 CM long. Otherwise, without a tax stamp here in the states a guy would be looking at hard time if BATFE is having a bad hair day yankees

BTW, 11" twist is a good recommendation for .308s.

Done in by the metric system again......the metric system is a communist conspiricy to subvert and corrupt the minds and morals of Americans....it's worked on me......should have stuck with inces and said 21" killpc

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote