New
Find
Notify
Tools

magum primers in 25-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I remember reading a few years ago that large magnum rifle primers in a 25-06 were the ticket to better accuracy but you needed to start load development over because it increased pressure. I tried it and the results totally sucked. My sub MOA rifle started shooting 2.5" to 3" groups. I can't remember the magazine that I read the article in but it was some sort of reoading mag. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Magnum" primers rarely improve groups; on the other hand, they don't often deteriorate groups to the degree you have experienced.

In a .25-06, magnum primers certainly aren't necessary, so if you're having good luck with "standard" primers, just stick with them.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
I already nixed the magnum primer project. The rifle shot fine before but I'm always looking for "something just a little better". I was just wondering if anyone else had seen anything this dramatic just by changing primers.

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote