Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COAL issues on a .308 REM 700 5R
 Login/Join

posted
I recently went to the range, first reloads for .308, using WCC846, and 176gr. open tips. Was getting some pressure indicators. Went checking everything (was loading at lower end of data), and checked my COAL. Using the hornady OAL guage, i am getting 2.74" Doing some research, i have found that most folks are getting 2.85-2.95 COAL. I put a round in a case and ran the bolt home. Extracted it and got 2.96". Given that in the extraction, it could have pulled hte bullet some. I am concerned about not getting the correct COAL on these rounds. I am new to loading .308, been loading for ar's only, so doing more precision reloading is new to me. Where am i going wrong with using my gauge? Sorry for the long read.

Kip

Posts: 2 | Location: Juneau, AK. | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was the load? I.e how much powder did you use? I'd assume it was a safe load, but that's dangerous. Did you start low and work up?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Finding COL can be done using a fired case, pinch the neck closed a tiny amount to just hold the bullet. Make it the longest COL you can. Run dummy round in & out of chamber many times till you get the same measurement a few times. Don't let the ejector push the round against the side of the action, keep your finger on round while ejecting the dummy round. Or read how to use the Hornady thing here> http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...pace_and_Maximum_COL As for the pressure problem,military brass that is thicker/more heavy in 308 win can raise pressures. Seating a bullet into the rifling can also raise pressure. But you said your loading low end of data, so maybe the brass????

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use a felt tip marker too.

Seat a bullet in a primerless, powderless case. Color the bullet, chamber it and look for land marks. If you don't see land marks, use a kinetic bullet puller to move the bullet forward. Then run it back through a seating die that has been adjusted to your new target length and repeat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey fpchief, In this link to converting OCL to ODL you will find the Cleaning Rod Method. It is quick and accurate.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote