Find
Notify
Tools

More questions on Lake City brass
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
Today at a gun show I bought a container of 223 Rem brass for a penny a piece. I got home and sorted and counted. I have a lot of different years of LC brass. Also some commercial brass.
I have 250 rounds of LC00, 243 rounds of LC99. Next is LC97 with 52 pieces., LC94 and LC96 with 26 pieces each, LC98 with 22 pieces. I have many different years additionally with all less then 10 rounds per year, some years only have one piece.

So my question. Should I keep all the years seperate? These will be going in a Cooper single shot with a standard chamber. How consistent year to year is the quality of the Lake City Arsenal, and will the degree of inconsistency be detectable, in my rifle, assuming all the brass is prepped identically otherwise?

In terms of what I have done in the past, I have found that I can intermix commercial Winchester headstamp cases with "WW-Super" cases and not affect accuracy.

Your advice is appreciated.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<Powderman>
posted
For purposes of accuracy, I would seperate by headstamp first, then resize, trim, clean and uniform pockets, chamfer and deburr, then seperate by headstamp, weight, and head expansion measurement.

For plinking, or general shooting?

Size, trim as needed, and shoot. Enjoy yourself. Be advised--with all of the precision steps, a custom chamber is usually necessary to reap the full benefits.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

<Don G>
posted
JoeM,

I'd definitely keep the mil and civ brass in different lots. As to the Lake City mil brass, was it match or regular? The match brass will have regular primer pockets, but the GI will have crimped pockets that need to be milled or swaged to spec.

If you are running hot loads or are serious about accuracy you should keep the brass separate by lot. If you are happy with 1-1.5 MOA, shoot moderate loads and don't shoot much past 300, then you can lump all the mil brass together.

The mil brass will generally need one grain of powder less than civ to get the same pressure and velocity.

Don