New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crap, I shot my chronograph today!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It had to happen eventually. I was doing load development for my 460 Wby. After setting up the Chrony on a tripod, I fired two shot (600 gr Barnes O at 116 gr. IMR7828- I seat the bullet ~1/4 above the canulure(sp?)). After recording the data on my computer I loaded up 2 more rounds at 117 grs. Returned to the range (my front yard) and fired a shot. The Chrony moved a little and then displayed Err2. With considerable concern, I came in closer for an inspection. To my horror, the middle brace had a semi-circle cut out of it, but the back side (contains the second screen) showed a bullet hole through the glass eye. Although the sight picture looked about the same, I apparently moved a little immediately before firing and nailed it. Not surprisingly, a minor hit from a 460 Wby killed the machine. I tried to clean up the wound, but nothing that I tried would save my poor, loyal chronograph.

How many people out there have had similar experiences? I hope that I am not the only one to screw up like this.

Lastly, I have a picture of my late Chrony, if someone would like to post it.

Shawn

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a long thread a few days ago about "stopped,charging chrony" use the search function with those terms and you should find it...

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never shot mine while using it, but the first person I ever let shoot over my chronograph did. Luckily he only shot the screens off of it and did no damage to the unit. Since then, no one but me shoots over it. Now I understand why the guys at my range never let anyone else "try out" their chronographs.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shawn, I had a few minutes so I found the recent thread (pictures and all) regarding this situation. Be assured you're not alone...

Chrony Shooting

XWind

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rang a .22 LR off the front of my chrony, but it didn't really do much damage. Like GLC, my pop shot the sunscreens off of my chrony, one at a time.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
shot the skyscreens off, broke a screen leg, and durn it, even grazed it with a 44mag. That was just my luck.. a charging chrony and a bang away at it with a 44mag mouse gun!!! it litterally was a graze, as it just creased the metal on the rear. Used it for abotu 6 weeks, sent it back, $20 to replace sheetmetal..

just like horses and motorcycles....
those going down/going to shoot
those going down/going to shoot AGAIN
and those lieing about it [Big Grin]

jeffe

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Just be glad it was a Chrony. Call 'm up, they are very understanding and very reasonable about replacement units..... HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club. I do believe that it is not a very exclusive organization. There are two branches; those that admit membership, and those that don't, and to borrow a term from the pychobabble movement, those that say they haven't, are in denial. There may be a third tier of membership; those who haven't shot enough rounds over a chrony. Shoot enough, and they will qualitfy for the next level of membership. Chrony is good about repairs, but unfortunately, when I nailed mine, the only thing salvagable was a good chuckle.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
My Chronograph Story - January "2002"

January 7th, 2002 - I ran out to the range yesterday to make some noise with my .338 and .416. I guess I needed a little knocking around after Christmas. Fortunately, our private range was not crowded and only a few folks had braved the weather. I proceeded to set up my rests, spotting scope, and target. The line was declared �hot� and I shot my first group with my .338. I was pleased with the results.

About this time, a new�ish member drives up with his son and begins to unload his car - I will refer to them as Dad and Junior. I was mildly disgruntled to see a new Oehler chronograph being pulled out of the trunk. Realizing that this was going to take hours to set up for the first time, I offered to help. My offer was met with a cold stare and a �no I got it under control� response.

After quite a lot of fumbling, Dad assembles the sky screens and jumps across the firing line to set up his tripods. I was literally two pounds into my three pound trigger on my .416, after all, the line was �hot�. Realizing that Dad and junior were 15 feet over the firing line, I yelled to the other two shooters for �Line Clear�. I unloaded my gun, and casually walked over to explain what the yellow line was for and why we used commands like �Line Hot� and �Line Clear�. I again offered my assistance, again, my presence was not well received. Not wanting to get into a pissin match, I decided to back off and give this guy a wide berth. I received several �Oh Shit� looks from the other shooters, and I simply shrugged my shoulders.

After 15 minutes of careful maneuvering and alignment, Dad deemed the chrono calibrated and ready. While the line was still clear, dad throws down sand bags, pulls out his rifle, and chambers a round. Seeing this, one of the other shooters yells for �Line Hot� I acknowledged the call and got ready for my next string. It seems that Dad was not pleased with the chrono alignment and again crosses the firing line for one final nudge. Of course his gun is still loaded! One of the other shooters immediately yells for �Line Clear�.

Figuring that I would not be able to concentrate, I decided to pay another visit to Dad. I explained that his gun should not be loaded with a Line Clear command and he certainly should not walk in front of a loaded gun. As I turned to go pack the car and leave, I noted to Dad that the chrono appeared to be set up quite high. Dad looks through scope (at high power) and declares my comment null and void. The little voice in the back of my head said to sit tight and enjoy. I figured this would be great fun to watch so I hung around for the crowning moment.

After much grunting, the sand bags are in place and the shot is pending. Dad is holding his breath and appears to be turning blue attempting to bring himself to pull the trigger. I am in total concentration and focus on the chrono, as are the other shooters. The long anticipated moment arrives and the chrono is shattered to pieces. Sky screens are raining down all over the range, the chronograph and printer are a good 20 ft down range, tripods are askew, and Dad is now very confused because he cannot seem to locate the chronograph printer. It was next to him only moments ago. Looking up and realizing what he has done, the cussing ensues. Junior is crying and making tracks to the car in anticipation of the ass beating he will soon be subjected to.

Dad is now throwing anything within his reach and goes stomping out to his new chronograph - the line is still �hot�. One of the other shooters is brave enough to help pick up a few pieces in front of his bench. Meanwhile Dad locates the printer and decides to spike it into the dirt with great force. Again chronograph pieces rain down across the range. Realizing Dad is very pissed, I decide to hold my comment that �at least his gun seemed to work well and that his load achieved impressive penetration�.

The rest of the chronograph is collected and thrown into one of the range garbage cans. At least Dad was thoughtful enough to pick up after his show. After Dad leaves the range in a hail of gravel, the rest of us run to the garbage can to fight over the spoils like starving hyena. One of the guys grabs the chrono printer, the other grabs the rail, and I get my hands on several sky screens just in case I decide to shoot through mine one day. All in all, it was a most profitable and entertaining day. I just feel sorry for Junior...
Chronograph set up 101 - When setting up your chronograph, make sure you look through your scope on the lowest power. This will provide you with a good field of view. For insurance sake, I also bore sight just to make sure my eyes are telling the truth. And finally, never shoot over a chronograph offhand - I�ve seen it done.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I haven't shot mine yet, but, it happens all the time, according to what I read in the gun rags!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
X-wind,
I looked up the thread on charging chrony. It appears that I am not the only one to shoot a Chrony with a 460Wby! The problem is far more common than I would have expected.

Zero Drift,
I thoroughly enjoyed your story. Thanks for showing it again.

I will definately call Chrony and see if the second eye can be replaced. I was upset at the idea of throwing away a ~$100 machine. Looking through my records, I have put roughly 200 rds "properly" through my chronograph.

Shawn

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Hee Hee Hee. Misery loves company. I`ve done it a couple of times as have more than a few posters.
Just smile and get a new one, and remember, its time is limited also [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
With all these stories of chronies being shot I'm starting to get worried. Is there enough left to support a healthy population?
I vote we limit the seasons and maybe move to draw system.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I did it with my 300 winchester still hate to just think about it

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wonder what Swahili is for "Chronograph", maybe something like: "M'Crogo"? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 01-21-2003, 02:10: Message edited by: Doubltap ]

Posts: 2 | Location: Topeka, Kansas | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I am glad ( SAD ) to see that our range does not have a monopoly on dangerous/stupid shooters. I wish we could force every living soul in the US to go thru some sort of firearms safety briefing/learning experience once every five years for non-shooters, and EVERY year for shooters.

Shooting a Chrono just happens, Pact used to say in their advertising that they sold skyscreens every day, and that, was why one should NOT shoot over expensive electronics.

I nailed the paper screen markers in the OLD chrony, when I changed to a different set of sights on a M1 Carbine.

I purposely put pieces of white tape on the arms of the shades on my Pact so I could always have a reference of where I was sighting. I just keep the plane of the horizontal crosshair or sights between the white lines on the chronograph and shoot away. It is easier for me because I typically chronograph loads separately from testing for accuracy, then I have to concentrate on only one thing.

Setting up a chronograph is definitely a pain to get it set just right so you shoot over the screens at the right angle! I finally dedicated a tripod to skyscreen duty!

LouisB

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn460:
Crap, I shot my chronograph today!

Welcome to the fold, brother. Come in, sit down, and relax. We've got fresh coffee brewing, a little something to liven it up, and supper will be ready shortly.

It's good to see you, brother. Welcome.

Russ [Cool]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put quite a few rounds across my Pact screens before I hit one, but I did a bangup job once I bored the first .22 holes. I proceeded to carve .41 and 44 caliber light leaks to complement the .22's.

I was truly amazed at how much damage I did to the plastic sensor housings without taking the chrono out of commission.

A smart soul would keep an extra screen or two in the shooting box for those days when things don't go right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have put .338 holes through the sensor housings on my Pact. It still works fine though.

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
Back about '91 or so I bought my 1st Chrony...Think my second trip out a "buddy" wanted to clock his 223's out of his AR15..yup
You guessed right,the combination of those high posts on the black rifle and his inexperience with the concept of centering in the "V" combined to center-punch my new Chrony. I don't believe I had clocked even 25 rounds before its demise.
You don't need a 460Wby to send a Chrony to meet its maker BTW... I reluctantly called,got a RMA,sent a check along and waited about 2 weeks for Chrony #2 and have not set said Chrony in range of a "Buddy" since. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you, Shawn, tried to glue yours together again?? [Wink]
I have no doubt, I'll always keep my 460 handy, in case I run into some more of these bastards!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being somewhat of a libertarian, Shawn, I concede it's your prerogative to shoot your chrono with whatever you like, but 600gr is wholly unnecessary...

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<GunGeek>
posted
I nailed one right through the heart a few years ago. I mounted it on the wall where it kind of puts all the other trophies in proper perspective.