THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Autoprime Shell Holder for 404 Jeffery???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I didn't find any evidence of Lee making a shell holder for the 404 Jeffery and was not able to readily email them from their website...might be problems on my end of the electronic chain.

Anyway, is anyone aware of a shell holder that will work with their autoprime? I have the standard kit that comes with 11 different varieties but none of these seem to work.

Thanks in advance.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Call Lee. I'm sure there are other shellholders that might work. I seat mine in an RCBS hand priming tool for which they DO make a shellholder. However, just the other day I went to pull some bullets and rather than dismantle the RCBS for the shellholder, I grabbed another out of my collection, NOT one specically for 404, and it worked. Not sure what it's for and not even sure of the manufacturer, but it has a #8 on it. Lee can probably help you. I think maybe a 30-40 Krag or a 405 Winchester will work if they have those.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Number 8 is RCBS .45 Auto Rim shellholder.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee made me one that works with the .475 for a acouple bucks get ahold of them and ask
quote:
Originally posted by Reed:
I didn't find any evidence of Lee making a shell holder for the 404 Jeffery and was not able to readily email them from their website...might be problems on my end of the electronic chain.

Anyway, is anyone aware of a shell holder that will work with their autoprime? I have the standard kit that comes with 11 different varieties but none of these seem to work.

Thanks in advance.

Reed

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The #8 Lee, specifically for the autoprime, is too big for the 404 Jeffery case. I will add that it fits the 416 Rigby case just fine.

The standard shell holder that came with my Redding 404 Jeffery die set is marked "404."

I guess I'll have to break down and make a phone call and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the responses.

Reed

<Sniper06>
posted
Reed, you might have to order the one for the .458 Win. Mag. The 11 piece set does not include it, only the 11 most popular ones. Also you might go to their web site and email them your request. I think their address is: leeprecision.com or run a search if that addy is not right. Good luck. I have an idea for a .416 Rigby-based wildcat. Someday when I take care of a few of my other wildcat fantassies, I might get around to it. Good Luck on that auto-prime shellholder.
Also, you may be better-off looking for a shellholder to fit the new RUM cartridges as they are built on the .404 case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm not terribly familiar with the 458 Win but I think the case head will be the same as the 300 & 375 H&H along with all of the variants based on that case...most of the 300 magnums, etc. I think the Lee #5 will work for these. I think it will work for the RUM's as well. When Remington came up with that case design they based it on the 404 Jeffery but they rebated the rim and therefore the shell holders are different.

I just need to get off my lazy ass and call Lee. I had some problems trying to email them through their website.

Thanks,

Reed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reed got off his lazy ass and finally called Lee.

The lady that answered told me a #16 will work for the 404 Jeffery.

I will now order one and see if that's true.

Reed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to put this issue to rest, I got the #16 last night and it works just fine.

FWIW, the Sinclair catalog actually had it listed, in print no less. It's not the first place I would have looked but they sure are comprehensive on reloading equipment.

Reed