Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning cases
 Login/Join

posted
was wondering if tumbler was better or sonic cleaning machines are better any opinion helps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have really cruddy brass the sonic machine will need an acid to help remove the oxides and stains.

Depending on the design a tumbler can be very effective if you know how to use it with different cleaning solutions and media.

I try to keep my brass clean to minimize tumbling

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a tumbler with treated corn cob media forever and I've had no problems. I clean my brass so the brass case in the steel chamber can work as intended.
I want my brass clean. It doesn't have to look like it store bought new. Shiny brass don't win no extra points in a match nor kill stuff deader.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have both

The sonic unit is better at cleaning inside areas but is a wet mess of citric acids or vinegar

If I'm going to be wet I'll go rotary with stainless pins and soap

I just dump a load in the vibro bowl with a shot of liquid car wax and overnight run

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I use both.
Pro's&Cons:
Dry media tumbler can plug the flash holes of the cases. No big deal unless you miss one. You could get a dud round. Tumbling does not clean the primer pocket unless you are using a wet stainless steel media. ( $$$ ) Tumbling takes a little longer and is noisy.
You can get very bright shiny cases. Cases ready instantly after dumping the media for use.
Cheap to use.

Sonic is $$$ to buy. Chemicals are $$$. It will clean the primer pocket. It will remove all traces of case lube. Cases will not be as shiny when done. Cases will have to be air dried.
Oder can turn some folks off.
Chems don't last a very long time. You can strain the dirty chems though a coffee filter(s) to increase life a little.
The cleaning is much faster and very quite compared to the dry/wet tumbler.

I use the sonic more now that the dry tumbler. It is just my choice.
I have a "rock tumbler", a vibration tumbler and a heated sonic cleaner.
All work very well.
Buy quality! Cheap is just that,cheap. Purchase the best you can afford.It will last for years.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I used the vibratory tumbler for several years until I bought the stainless steel media and tumbler. I only use the vibratory tumbler now to knock the main crud off of range pick up brass, which then goes into the stainless media for proper cleaning.

The stainless media is expensive but is far superior to the vibratory tumbler, IMO.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I soak my brass in very Hot water, Lemonshine (available at Walmart), and Dawn Dishwashing detergent. Mixture cuts tarnish and crud. After rinsing in cold water, I allow them to dry, then tumble them after first recapping using a universal decapper.I use lizard litter (pet supply stores) for a fraction of what tumbling media costs.

I no longer worry about tumbling media stuck in the flash hole. The primer blows it right out upon firing. A primer has enough force to lodge a bullet inside the bore (if accidentally loaded without powder) so tumbling media is never a problem unless the primer pocket itself is clogged, preventing proper seating of the primer.

Posts: 54 | Location: Nassau County, NY | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Tumble unloaded but primed?

Not for me

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use a Chicago Electric tools sonic cleaner. Bought it at Harbor Freight. I gave my tumbler away.
Resized,decap. clean dry ready to go.

Chemicals are hot tap water, 1 tsp Lem-Shine, 2 drops of Dawn liquid soap. 3, 480 sec. cycles and even the primer pockets are clean. Rinse, towel dry, convection at 170 and you are ready to reload clean brass in less than an hour!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typo: No, I don't "recap" before tumbling. I decap prior to tumbling in order to get some cleaning action on the primer pockets. Sorry for the confusing info.

Also, the product we often refer to as "Lemonshine" is actually called "Lemi-Shine."

Posts: 54 | Location: Nassau County, NY | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Years ago I used to tumble with the walnut or corn cob media and it was such a hassle and didn't clean well so I gave up and put up with dirty brass. But more recently I tried the stainless pin method and I'm super impressed.

It cleans really well and quickly. While it's a bit of an expense to get the pins initially, but they seem to last forever so it's essentially a one time cost.

I didn't like the idea of having the brass come out soaking wet..., but I've been crudely drying with a towel and them running the brass a handful at a time in a hot air popcorn popper. It just takes 20 or 30 seconds and they're completely dry and ready to load.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the sonic method, it sounds like some people like it, but once I tried the stainless pins I quit looking for other methods.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I don't have any need to rush the reloading process, I usually take my freshly rinsed brass and pour it onto a cookie tray that's been spray-painted black. I leave it in the sun where it dries quite quickly and thoroughly. It even works in winter although it takes longer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to try that deal where you don't punch the little lump of media out of the flash hole. It actually sounds right but I'd want to do it under a controlled situation with a chrony and careful bench technique for accuracy. Anything to help out my "rock and a rusty nail" style of reloading.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I thought you didn't tumble?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of building a tumbler set up for using stainless pins and it sure looks like the way to go. Many voice that they don't need their brass looking like new, and maybe it shoots just as good, but for dead sure clean primer pockets and way easier inspection purposes, i'm inclined to believe it's gonna be worth it. I also have dust allergies and this will eliminate the dry media dust.

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I thought you didn't tumble?

Oh no, I certainly tumble. I just don't get obsessive about it. As posted, I want the cases clean but shiny doesn't matter. And I've spent the time using a little stylus to poke the media out of the flash hole. It still beats trying to wipe them clean with an old tee shirt as I did in the days of yore.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wes62:
I'm in the process of building a tumbler set up for using stainless pins and it sure looks like the way to go. Many voice that they don't need their brass looking like new, and maybe it shoots just as good, but for dead sure clean primer pockets and way easier inspection purposes, i'm inclined to believe it's gonna be worth it. I also have dust allergies and this

will eliminate the dry media dust.

The regular tumble cleans the primer pockets whilst it's cleaning the case -inside and out.
And what are you inspecting AFTER you tumble? My brass is inspected and wiped with a soft cloth as my first step to reloading.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What am I cleaning after I tumble? Those extra dirty, grimy cases I pick up at the range that may or may not show a flaw "before" cleaning!

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
One more here for SS media. And the Thumler's Tumbler.

It is a high initial expense but I've used crushed walnut and rouge for years and although it takes a bit of finesse, the SS media can't be beat if you want the cleanest, shiniest cases.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I tumble cases that are deprimed I just run them through the sizing station gain on my Dillon the decaping pin cleans the flash hole.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wes62:
What am I cleaning after I tumble? Those extra dirty, grimy cases I pick up at the range that may or may not show a flaw "before" cleaning!

I don't put dirty, grimy brass in my tumbler. Nor do I run it through a die.

Aim for the exit hole

posted Hide Post
For the most part I quit polishing cases, it just wastes to much time and is messy. For the majority I deprime and wash them in hot water & Lemi shine (dish washing soap). Rinse them off a couple of times, shake them off and set out to dry for a couple of days. I might corn cob & media after the Lemi if I want some show off stuff.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote