Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM game loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Tried the Federal High Energy, 140 gr Trophy Bonded 270 win and got 2850 with my Rem 700. Veocity was listed at 3000+ fps. I know this is only one experience but I could have made faster, and more accurate loads. $30.00++ down the drain!

------------------
"Certified Rifle Crank!"
Iraklion@msn.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Ok I looked at Hodgdon's data and they list 106 gr of H870. 113 gr seems excessive. So much variance???????

------------------
"Certified Rifle Crank!"
Iraklion@msn.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
Ok I looked at Hodgdon's data and they list 106 gr of H870. 113 gr seems excessive. So much variance???????

Yeah, there does seem to be a lot of variance with the loading data published thus far. If you look at the pressure for the Hodgdon load you can see it's way under max. They only back off two grains when going up 40 grains in bullet weight to 220's. I don't know, maybe they didn't want to compress the load at all or something?

FWIW, Accurate Arms lists 113 grains for their very similar AA 8700 which is the same as in the Barnes manual.

I guess that's why we reload, so we can find out for ourselves!

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love threads like this... If I was given a 300 RUM and was bored enough to shoot it, mine would shoot 14/32 inch groups at 300 yards, providing it didnt hit a bug on the way. It would also be set up with the intent on shooting a deer as far as I felt that day... 800 yards or so, with its 24-42X 50 mm scope and bipod with lockable shopping cart wheels. The stock would have a 12 digit combination lock on the recoil pad, where it stored 65 additional rounds, a laser range finder, and a gas powered hearing aid to hear the bullet hit at my distance.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have anything intelligent to add to the discussion smallfry?

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon.... No. I was just in a goofy mood . that happens sometime.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russianhunter my english is not that good [Big Grin] ; Jon A,I have tried H-870 up to 122 grs with three kinds of bullets,180 BST,Speer SBT,Barnes XBT,the result was all the same,beyond 3325 fps to hot a load. I cannot figure out how the .30-378 WBY or the .300 RUM can get over 3350 fps without having pressure signs.Concerniing another forum,some guys gave me some info with a reload with H-50BMG being able to get 3500 fps with 180 grs BST,I was NEW AT reloading then,I think I was lucky that these guys didnt send me their powder load,otherwise I will have probably ruined my rifle.... [Confused]

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
What results have you had with 150 gr? [Confused]

<Eric Leonard>
posted
out of my 700BDLSS 300 RUM I get 3650 fps with the 150 sierra GK and 96 gr RL22.It is the most accurate load in this rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
POP;if I wish buying a .300 RUM rifle,what will be a good choice, Remington BDL not so expensive,is it a "worth " money choice...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Factory guns = luck of the draw rejpelly !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,the draw I like it,I bought a .338 RUM and the draw is not so bad,(.555MOA),I bought a .30-378 WBY,the draw is not good,but at least with the "cheap price of the "338 RUM (I got my money worth). I realize with" out of factory rifle",you are right,I will for now on settle on on the "cheapest ones".Why pay for the expensive ones,it is a" draw".HI