Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forming .260Rem Brass...
 Login/Join

posted
I'm finding it hard to get good quality .260Rem brass here in the UK at a reasonable price..

I've been told the Remington brass is not particularly good quality and the Norma "custom" brass retails at about $1 a go!

So I was wondering whats involved with forming .260Rem brass? I can get Lapua .243win or .308win brass but don't really know which is best to start from, or what steps would be involved?

Any and all advice gratefully received,

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can get Lapua .243win

Given a choice I prefer to neck up. A tapered expander 243 brass in a 260 die should give you 260 brass.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Not sure of your costs in the UK but I've been using Remington brass for years with no real problems and case life is good. But, I don't try for max loads or excessive spped - just accurate hunting loads.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I can get Lapua .243win

Given a choice I prefer to neck up.

I guess I'm from the opposite camp.

I'd prefer to neck down.

Three points here:

1. When you "stretch" the brass (necking up,) I feel you are more likely to end up with uneven neck thickness along the circumference.

2. You will end up with a tighter neck fit. Better alignment in the chamber. I've never had to turn necks. The amount of brass thickening when necking down (I've done .375 to .338, .375 to .308 and .35 to .308) is really small. Do the math and you'll see. If you have a match chamber to begin with, that's another story. Thicker necks are better than thinner ones!

3. You shouldn't need to screw with the tapered expander step, which can be a seperate process or require a different expander. You should be able to run .308 thru the 260 FL sizer and be ready to rock'n'roll.

That said, I usually form cases for my .375-338 wildcat from .338 Win (yep - neck it up.) Way easier to find .338 cases than .458 Win.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
I neck down from 308 to 260 I have been using LC Match FC and now Hornady Match stuff.

It takes one fireing to have the shoulder formed real nice to your chamber.

Some of my brass has been loaded 6 times and I don't anneal the necks 308 are to easy to find.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete
Give the remington brass a try. I have found it to work as well as the others without the extra work. If for target work buy in bulk and sort. Good luck

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
Pete if you have a standard neck in your 260 and not a tight custom one you can look at 7-08 win brass necked down. It performs best for me with my factory chamber/neck. The difference between it and .260 rem brass accuracy wise is minimal but I get a couple more reloads as it is a bit harder brass than the Rem brass I have used. My loads are not too hot but they are getting all that I think reasonable from the cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Have been shooting the 260s for as long as they have been out, so its hard to believe that has been 10 years now...

I've necked it up from 243, and necked down from 7/08 and 308...

I guess if I really had to pick, then I'd prefer to neck up, particularly if your rifle has a tight neck.. this will eliminate need to neck turn your brass...

necking down the 7/08 is the easiest of all..
then of course 308... none of this is any real hassle.. and all work well...

never used Lapua brass, but if it is as good as they say it is.. I'd just purchase which ever caliber was cheaper, 243 or 308 and be done with it..

only real reason I have necked up or down at all, is that I prefer Win brass over Rem, and I end up with a lot of 308 brass from picking it up off the ground at our local range.... at least before brass pricing skyrocketed...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gee - can you really buy 260 brass?? i've always made it from old GI 308's. cheap bastard that i am

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
When I started loading for the 260 I necked down both 7-08 and 308 brass of various makes. Once Remington started produceing brass for the market I turned to it. I`ve never seen any measurable difference in accuracy between the reformed stuff and the Remington, and quit useing anything but proper headstamped cases in my rifles. I doubt with a factory rifle and a lot of semi-custom you will find any difference in accuracy, case life may vary (I didn`t see it) and case capacities may allow slight changes in charge wgts. Unless you have a super accurate rifle and want the last 0.001" gain in group size, or a ton of suitable brass you are not useing, I`d stay with factory brass.

JMHO.....

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Seafire and Ol Joe. However, I would give the Rem brass a go. I've shot and won quite a few factory matches with neck turned Rem brass in 22-250 and 7-08. IMO, it ain't bad stuff. It ain't Lapua but neither is the price tag over here.

posted Hide Post
Cheers Gents,

Plan A had been to buy some Nosler Custom brass from Sinclair International, but its seems now that your Government requires an export license for these highly dangerous brass tubes! Roll Eyes

Plan B will be trying Remington brass which should be available over here at a reasonable price, and then as a last resort, I'll try necking up some Lapua .243win brass..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 7/08 or 308 and neck down. Then if you need to you can turn them to fit your chamber. If it is a factory gun then you have probably taken some of the slack out of the throat area. The 308 cases come up ever so slightly short.

Bottom line thre is NOTHIING wrong with Remington 260 bras as it is.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DrHenley
posted Hide Post
I prefer necking down over necking up because it gives me a lot more control over neck thickness and concentricity.

I'll give it to you that necking up is easier though...

I found that the wall thickness of Remington factory 260 brass was all over the place. It must be due to the lack of competition, because in most calibers I've found Remington brass to be excellent.

7mm-08 brass is probably the best bet, unless you have an overabundant supply of 308 brass. Since I shoot at the BRPC at Fort Benning, I pick up 308 brass by the bucketfull.

I have used LC brass but that definitely requires turning the necks with any but the sloppiest of factory chambers. And not many manufacturers I know of make sloppy 260 Rem chambers. I mean, it's not like you're going to run across military surplus rifles chambered in 260 Remington.

Winchester 308 brass will most likely work without turning. Winchester 7mm-08 brass will almost certainly work without turning.

----------------------------------
"You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" ( - Kaiser Wilhelm speaking to a Swiss Militiaman)

"We will shoot twice and go home."

Posts: 26 | Location: Columbus, Georgia USA | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
Have been shooting the 260s for as long as they have been out, so its hard to believe that has been 10 years now...

I've necked it up from 243, and necked down from 7/08 and 308...

I am curious.

How does the 308 brass work?

The neck in my 260 Rem chamber is .299".

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
gee - can you really buy 260 brass?? i've always made it from old GI 308's. cheap bastard that i am

We never called you CHEAP there Butchloc... lol

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am curious.

How does the 308 brass work?

The neck in my 260 Rem chamber is .299".

Clark,

I wasn't aware that you got one...

But in my Rugers and in my Model 700 VLS, neither one show any problems necking down 308s and then chambering... occasionally with some you get the neck donut.. but they still chamber fine and then they disappear when first fired...

The 308 brass I neck down is always range stuff laying on the ground..( I love those guys who do that.. especially if it is good brass..)

John Quincy Adams

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I use the Lapua 243 & neck up w/ a tapered expander, works perfectly.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've resized 1X .243 brass into 7-08 brass with one pass thru the die. Then trimmed it to length and loaded it full house. No fire forming needed. (it is after all the same case)
If you want to get real picky, get a neck turning thingy and run it over the neck to knock down any high spots--you're not turning the neck, just kinda uniforming it-- and you're good to go. If it's hunting you're going, never mind that. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

If you can honestly tell the difference between remington and lapua other than the flash holes might need uniforming on the remington then you must be a LOT more conscientious than me!!!

I shoot remington in 6mm rem, 6.5x55 and 7x57 - never had any problem getting 0.5MOA with the right load.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
Pete,

If you can honestly tell the difference between remington and lapua other than the flash holes might need uniforming on the remington then you must be a LOT more conscientious than me!!!

I shoot remington in 6mm rem, 6.5x55 and 7x57 - never had any problem getting 0.5MOA with the right load.

I think the biggest diff. is consistant wt. & case life. I also us RP brass & find accuracy pretty much the same. Then again, I sort the RP by wt.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote