Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

your youth loads for the 243 on deer
 Login/Join

posted
Looking for ya'lls 243 win loads for youth and ladies that you use on deer. Thanks

Posts: 19 | Location: florida | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The .243 is a light shooting cartridge, and there is no need for a light hunting load.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Get a good recoil pad a 243 don't kick that much I prefer the Limb Saver Recoil Pads.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When those boys and girls get a little hair in front of the scope they won't even feel a thing when the .243 goes off.
When my Aunt turned 70 she bought her self a new 7MM Mag. she just turned 78 and has down graded to a 7mm/08. So don't let those women fool you. Those women are tougher than we want to believe. And usually better shots.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Razzerpersonally I think Steve's assesment is correct. If you must have a reduced load I would suggest a 100 gr, psp, with 21 gr. Blue, Dot WLRM primer at close to 2500 fps. Or 34gr. H380 same bullet and primer about the same velocity.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH give let me subtract about 200 to 350 fps from the MV and I can reduce recoil by 50% in a 243...
and still give you a 200 yds deer load....

For us big guys a 243 may not kick at all... but for a new shooter, their prospective may differ....

Just use a fast powder....

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, she has never shot a scoped rifle, so needs to practice. Thinking of making a varmit load to practice and switching to a good 95 to 100 gr load to hunt with. What do you think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire turned me on to his reduced bluedot loads more than a year ago. Recoil is about that of a .223 The accuracy of these loads are amazing. At the range I have let many 7-10 year old little boys and little girls shoot the .243 bluedot reduced loads. They get a real kick breaking blue rocks at 100 yards shot after shot after shot--while their dad is struggling to get his "Mans" rifle on paper. P.S. don't forget to tell the little kids that blue rocks aren't blue.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm dealing with this right now for my 8 yo nephew, I think he's a little young but his dad insists on taking him hunting so I decided to load something that wouldn't scare the crap out of him. The link below has some good info on what they call the 243 Lite, I'm using a 70 gr. BT with 26 grs. of 2520 and the Dacron filler (very important)and it gives me exactly 2500 fps. I was looking for 2400 - 2500 so we're in there. 243 Lite

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys , Ive got build up the loads and sight in her new rifle, but after she is comfortable with it, I plan on waking her up as much as I can