New
Find
Notify
Tools

Press Selection for Newbie to Reloading
 Login/Join

<GreyWolf36>
posted
I would like some input from the veteran reloaders out their as to their suggestion on which press should be my first? RCBS,Dillon,Redding,etc.... single stage/progressive. I shoot mostly targets and do occasionally have the need for mass amount of ammo to run thru the Ar15 and AK, your input will be greatly appreciated

Thanks [Big Grin]

[ 02-22-2003, 17:53: Message edited by: GreyWolf36 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreyWolf36:
I would like some input from the veteran reloaders out their as to their suggestion on which press should be my first? RCBS,Dillon,Redding,etc.... single stage/progressive. I shoot mostly targets and do occasionally have the need for mass amount of ammo to run thru the Ar15 and AK, your input will be greatly appreciated

Thanks [Big Grin]

All three are good/great companies to deal with and make good equipment....the Dillon is THE progressive and fantastic for bulk loading....the Redding and RCBS single stage presses are very solid and will load 99% of what you are likely to reload.....I always reccomend a single stage to start and you never out grow the need and use of one...you may want to add a progressive later but you will still want/need a single stage...RCBS is the 'standard" in single stages and the Redding is slightly upscale.....the RCBS Rockchucker is a great start and the larger kit containing the press,scales,lube pad and similar is a good value....the single stage will be easier to do accuracy type loads on and experiment with charge changes and bullet depth ......a couple of good manuals first and read and study their procedures and safety rules and never look back..come to the boards for advice and answers..just check a couple of opinions before trying something different or new.......and learn about working UP a load and pressure signs......and the special little tricks for the auto gas gun loads for good performance in the autos......enjoy the process and good luck and good shooting/loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<GreyWolf36>
posted
Thanks for the input, just want to start off on the right foot [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dillon RL550B, cause you can load singles or spit out mass amounts of semi-auto fare. It's all in the way you set up the machine. Give Dillon a call and talk to one of their experts; no hard sell, just honest info. You'll be glad you did.
800-223-4570 Arizona time.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Let me add a few words of caution.

Right now, you want to reload. Lots of guys have wanted to reload but then, after doing it for awhile, decided it wasn't really the ting they wanted to do. Just this morening I saw an ad for a Dillon 550B and several sets of dies for sale at a bargain price. He wanted to reload too... at first.

You can spend a bunch of money on a press, powder dispenser, scale, dies, etc. Or you could find a kit on sale in the Nickle Ads or other classified ads.

I started out the cheap way and worked my way up to a system I like. I've still spent less than if I were to buy that Dillon in the paper this morning. But I'm not interested in turning out 500 rounds a night. The most I've ever loaded at one sitting was 200 rounds of rifle ammo, which few progressive presses will accommodate anyhow. That 200 rounds took me about four hours and I watched a football game while I was doing it.

So go ahead and buy a Dillon or a Redding or whatever. I hope you don't lose interest in the next year or so and have to take a big loss on it.

By the way, I use Lee equipment and have no regrets at all.

Posts: 24 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i like my lee kit. the first thing i did was upgrade to a digital scale but other than that i have no complaints at all. i have $185 in it with the first set of dies. if you decide to go this way make sure you get the kit wiht lee's reloading book in it.
good luck
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote