Find
Notify
Tools

Re: TSX and copper fouling
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted
I'm with you Russ. I use CR-10. I figure Barnes has developed the cleaner they market to work the easiest with the bullet they make. Never tried Bore Shine-- but have heard good things about it. Have used CR-10 for a long time-- it works very well.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Barnes have always had the reputation for copper fouling.

I have a barrel that was cleaning easily with Butch's using Nosler Accubonds. When I started experimenting with TSX's a couple of weeks back the barrel quit cleaning as easily and now I have to use J-B Bore paste to get the copper out. You might consider using it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a box of TSX bullets, loaded for me by Safari Arms in NY today. From my M70 7mmRem Mag, I shot a 5 round group all touching each other. I then scrubbed the bore with Butch's bore shine, and even after that I noticed that the bore is streaked copper and black color. I tried again and it's still the same color. Is this normal when using the X bullet? Hey, I'm not complaining too much, since I am shooting nice groups!! Thanks Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've got a late model M70 Winchester 7mm Rem Mag. The bore always looks coppery after shooting, and it turns green if allowed to sit untouched for a few days. Mighty hard to ever get it all out. Not necessary to do so, as has been noted.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's normal with any copper jacketed bullet to leave some copper fouling in the barrel. I've tried Barnes CR-10, Montana Extreme, Outers Copper Remover, and Sweet's 7.62. I have also tried JB's Bore Cleaning Compound. I prefer the Sweet's 7.62 cause it's a little thicker consistency than the others.

Posts: 450 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do'nt worry about the streaks, worry about the groups. If they are good, shoot until they open and then clean.

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
with my 7stw i have always used sweets 762. takes about 3 treatments and a good scrubbing with a nylon bore brush. that was with the original barnes x bullets. i have not tried the tsx yet.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Use Wipe Out.

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
After 56 rounds of 185 TSX's at 3100 fps today, a quick cleaning with Butch's Bore Shine with a nylon brush to get the big stuff out, then Kroil and 20 passes with J-B Bore paste, and my borescope couldn't detect a bit of copper in the bore. Took about 15 minutes, if that long.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote