Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Loads for Valmet 412
 Login/Join

posted
I just picked up a set of '06 double rifle barrels for my Valmet. Does anyone know what loads Valmet recommended for best performance in their barrels? Is there a site that might have info and specs on Valmet double rifle barrels? Thanks.

Posts: 19 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you is that my 412 combo gun shoots to point of aim with 150 factory ammo or equivalent handloads. You might see if that is what your double rifle barrels are regulated for.

We had a poster a while back who reported that reregulating a Valmet in 9.3 took more than 200 shots so I would avoid trying that if possible.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Leftover. I haven't had a chance to try them with anything yet...just got them. So with the 150gr. bullets, has it made any difference what brand you used? I was thinking about 180gr. for deer hunting. Guess I'll give some of both a try.

Posts: 19 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
t1885b
If you do not reload, and do not want to try and re-adjust the regulation buy several different boxes of factory ammo and see which one shoots the best.

If you reload pick the bullet you want to shoot and just like a bolt action start with a mild load and work up. I load four rounds and shoot them right/left reload right/left in my side by side double rifles. In your over/under double I would shoot them bottom/top, reload bottom/top. If that powder does not group good you can try a different powder with the same bullet. If that does not work I would try a different bullet etc. untill I found a load that shot good.....However if I found a load that shot real small groups with each bbl, but they were too far apart I would try and adjust the regulation of the rifle. That is one of the advantages of the Valmet, you can adjust the individual bbls point of impact..
Be sure and let us know how your first trip to the range goes.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote